26 CFR 1.6302-2 - Deposit rules for tax withheld on nonresident aliens and foreign corporations.
(a) Time for making deposits -
(1) Deposits -
(i) Monthly deposits. Except as provided in paragraphs (a)(1)(ii) and (iv) of this section, every withholding agent that, pursuant to chapter 3 of the Internal Revenue Code, has accumulated at the close of any calendar month an aggregate amount of undeposited taxes of $200 or more shall deposit such aggregate amount by the 15th day of the following month. However, the preceding sentence shall not apply if the withholding agent has made a deposit of taxes pursuant to paragraph (a)(1)(ii) of this section to a quarter-monthly period that occurred during such month. If the 15th day of the following month is a Saturday, Sunday, or legal holiday in the District of Columbia under section 7503, taxes will be treated as timely deposited if deposited on the next succeeding day which is not a Saturday, Sunday, or legal holiday. With respect to section 1446, this section applies only to a publicly traded partnership described in § 1.1446-4.
(ii) Quarter-monthly deposits. If at the close of any quarter-monthly period within a calendar month, the aggregate amount of undeposited taxes required to be withheld pursuant to chapter 3 of the Internal Revenue Code is $2,000 or more, the withholding agent shall deposit such aggregate amount within 3 business days after the close of such quarter-monthly period. Business days include every calendar day other than Saturdays, Sundays, or legal holidays in the District of Columbia under section 7503. If any of the three weekdays following the close of a quarter-monthly period is a legal holiday under section 7503, the withholding agent has an additional day for each day that is a legal holiday by which to make the required deposit. For example, if the Monday following the close of a quarter-monthly period is New Year's Day, a legal holiday, the required deposit for the quarter-monthly period is not due until the following Thursday rather than the following Wednesday.
(iii) Excess deposits. The excess (if any) of a deposit over the actual taxes for a monthly or quarter-monthly deposit period shall be applied in order of time to each of the withholding agent's succeeding deposits with respect to the same calendar year, until exhausted, to the extent that the amount by which the taxes for a subsequent deposit period exceed the deposit for such subsequent deposit period.
(iv) Annual deposits. If at the close of December of each calendar year, the aggregate amount of undeposited taxes required to be withheld pursuant to chapter 3 of the Internal Revenue Code is less than $200, the withholding agent may deposit such aggregate amount by March 15 of the following calendar year. If such aggregate amount is not so deposited, it shall be remitted in accordance with paragraph (a)(1) of § 1.1461-1.
(2) Cross reference. For rules relating to the adjustment of deposits, see §§ 1.1461-2(b) and 1.6414-1. For rules requiring payment of any undeposited tax, see § 1.1461-1.
(b) Manner of payment -
(1) Payments not required by electronic funds transfer. A payment that is not required to be deposited by this section shall be made separately from a payment required by any other section. The payment may be submitted with the filed return. The timeliness of the payment will be determined by the date payment is received by the Internal Revenue Service at the place prescribed for filing by regulations or forms and instructions, or if section 7502(a) applies, by the date the payment is treated as received under section 7502(a), or on the last day prescribed for filing the return (determined without regard to any extension of time for filing the return), whichever is later. Each withholding agent making payments under this section shall report on the return, for the period to which such payments are made, information regarding such payments according to the instructions that apply to such return.
(2) Voluntary deposits. An amount of tax which is not required to be deposited may nevertheless be deposited if the withholding agent so desires.
(3) Separation of deposits. A deposit required by paragraph (a) of this section for any period occurring in one calendar year shall be made separately from any deposit for any period occurring in another calendar year. In addition, a deposit required to be made by paragraph (a) of this section shall be made separately from a deposit required by any other section.
(4) Multiple remittances. A withholding agent may make one, or more than one, remittance of the amount required to be deposited if each remittance is accompanied by the applicable deposit form.
(5) Time deemed paid. In general amounts deposited under this section shall be considered as paid on the last day prescribed for filing the return (Form 1042) in respect of such tax (determined without regard to any extension of time for filing such return), or at the time deposited, whichever is later. For purposes of section 6511 and the regulations thereunder, relating to period of limitation on credit or refund, if an amount is so deposited prior to April 15th of a calendar year immediately succeeding the calendar year in which occurs the period for which such amount was so deposited, such amount shall be considered as paid on such April 15th.
(c) Deposits by electronic funds transfer. For the requirement to deposit taxes withheld on nonresident aliens and foreign corporations by electronic funds transfer, see § 31.6302-1(h) of this chapter. A taxpayer not required to deposit by electronic funds transfer pursuant to § 31.6302-1(h) of this chapter remains subject to the rules of paragraph (b) of this section.
(d) Penalties for failure to make deposits. For provisions relating to the penalty for failure to make a deposit within the prescribed time, see section 6656.
(e) Saturday, Sunday, or legal holidays. For provisions relating to the time for performance of acts where the last day falls on Saturday, Sunday, or a legal holiday, see § 301.7503-1 of this chapter (Procedure and Administration Regulations).
(f) Employer identification number. For the definition of the term “employer identification number”, see § 301.7701-12 of this chapter (Procedure and Administration Regulations). For provisions relating to the penalty for failure to include the employer identification number in a return, statement, or other document, see § 301.6676-1 of such chapter.
(g) Effective/Applicability date. Except as otherwise provided, this section shall apply to tax required to be withheld under chapter 3 of the Internal Revenue Code after 1966. The last sentence of paragraph (a)(1)(i) of this section shall apply to partnership taxable years beginning after April 29, 2008. Paragraph (b)(1) of this section applies to deposits and payments made after December 31, 2010.