26 CFR § 1.860A-1 - Effective dates and transition rules.
(a) In general. Except as otherwise provided in paragraph (b) of this section, the regulations under sections 860A through 860G are effective only for a qualified entity (as defined in § 1.860D-1(c)(3)) whose startup day (as defined in section 860G(a)(9) and § 1.860G-2(k)) is on or after November 12, 1991.
(b) Exceptions -
(1) Reporting regulations.
(A) Section 1.860F-4(c)(1) is effective for REMICs with a startup day on or after November 10, 1988.
(2) Tax avoidance rules -
(i) Transfers of certain residual interests. Section 1.860E-1(c) (concerning transfers of noneconomic residual interests) and § 1.860G-3(a)(4) (concerning transfers by a foreign holder to a United States person) are effective for transfers of residual interests on or after September 27, 1991.
(ii) Transfers to foreign holders. Generally, § 1.860G-3(a) (concerning transfers of residual interests to foreign holders) is effective for transfers of residual interests after April 20, 1992. However, § 1.860G-3(a) does not apply to a transfer of a residual interest in a REMIC by the REMIC's sponsor (or by another transferor contemporaneously with formation of the REMIC) on or before June 30, 1992, if -
(B) On or before June 30, 1992, a substantial portion of the regular interests in the REMIC were transferred, with the terms and at the prices that were fixed on or before April 20, 1992, to investors who were unrelated to the REMIC's sponsor at the time of the transfer; and
(C) At the time of the transfer of the residual interest, the expected future distributions on the residual interest were equal to at least 30 percent of the anticipated excess inclusions (as defined in § 1.860E-2(a)(3)), and the transferor reasonably expected that the transferee would receive sufficient distributions from the REMIC at or after the time at which the excess inclusions accrue in an amount sufficient to satisfy the taxes on the excess inclusions.
(iii) Residual interests that lack significant value. The significant value requirement in § 1.860E-1(a) (1) and (3) (concerning excess inclusions accruing to organizations to which section 593 applies) generally is effective for residual interests acquired on or after September 27, 1991. The significant value requirement in § 1.860E-1(a) (1) and (3) does not apply, however, to residual interests acquired by an organization to which section 593 applies as a sponsor at formation of a REMIC in a transaction described in § 1.860F-2(a)(1) if more than 50 percent of the interests in the REMIC (determined by reference to issue price) were sold to unrelated investors before November 12, 1991. The exception from the significant value requirement provided by the preceding sentence applies only so long as the sponsor owns the residual interests.
(3) Excise taxes. Section 1.860E-2(a)(1) is effective for transfers of residual interests to disqualified organizations after March 31, 1988. Section 1.860E-2(b)(1) is effective for excess inclusions accruing to pass-thru entities after March 31, 1988.
(4) Rate based on current interest rate -
(i) In general. Section 1.860G-1(a)(3)(i) applies to obligations (other than transition obligations described in paragraph (b)(4)(iii) of this section) intended to qualify as regular interests that are issued on or after April 4, 1994.
(B) Are either -
(1) Issued before April 4, 1994; or
(iii) Transition obligations. Obligations are described in this paragraph (b)(4)(iii) if -
(B) On or before June 1, 1994, a substantial portion of the obligations are transferred, with the terms and at the prices that are fixed before April 4, 1994, to investors who are unrelated to the REMIC's sponsor at the time of the transfer.
(5) Accounting for REMIC net income of foreign persons. Section 1.860G-3(b) is applicable to REMIC net income (including excess inclusions) of a foreign person with respect to a REMIC residual interest if the first net income allocation under section 860C(a)(1) to the foreign person with respect to that interest occurs on or after August 1, 2006.
(6) Exceptions for certain modified obligations. Paragraphs (a)(8)(i), (b)(3)(v), (b)(3)(vi), and (b)(7) of § 1.860G-2 apply to modifications made to the terms of an obligation on or after September 16, 2009.