26 CFR 301.6036-1 - Notice required of executor or of receiver or other like fiduciary.
(a) Receivers and other like fiduciaries -
(1) Exemption for bankruptcy proceedings. (i) A bankruptcy trustee, debtor in possession or other like fiduciary in a bankruptcy proceeding is not required by this section to give notice of appointment, qualification or authorization to act to the Secretary or his delegate. (However, see the notice requirements under the Bankruptcy Rules.)
(ii) Paragraph (a)(1)(i) of this section is effective for appointments, qualifications and authorizations to act made on or after January 29, 1988. For appointments, qualifications and authorizations to act made before the foregoing date, 26 CFR 301.6036-1 (a)(1) and (4)(i) (revised as of April 1, 1986) apply.
(2) Proceedings other than bankruptcy. A receiver in a receivership proceeding or a similar fiduciary in any proceeding (including a fiduciary in aid of foreclosure), designated by order of any court of the United States or of any State or Territory or of the District of Columbia as in control of all or substantially all the assets of a debtor or other party to such proceeding shall, on, or within 10 days of, the date of his appointment or authorization to act, give notice thereof in writing to the district director for the internal revenue district in which the debtor, or such other party, is or was required to make returns. Moreover, any fiduciary in aid of foreclosure not appointed by order of any such court, if he takes possession of all or substantially all the assets of the debtor, shall, on, or within 10 days of, the date of his taking possession, give notice thereof in writing to such district director.
(3) Assignment for benefit of creditors. An assignee for the benefit of a creditor or creditors shall, on, or within 10 days of, the date of an assignment, give notice thereof in writing to the district director for the internal revenue district in which the debtor is or was required to make returns. For purposes of this subparagraph, an assignee for the benefit of creditors shall be any person who, by authority of law, by the order of any court, by oral or written agreement, or in any other manner acquires control or possession of or title to all or substantially all the assets of a debtor, and who under such acquisition is authorized to use, reassign, sell, or in any manner dispose of such assets so that the proceeds from the use, sale, or other disposition may be paid to or may inure directly or indirectly to the benefit of a creditor or creditors of such debtor.
(4) Contents of notice -
(i) Proceedings other than bankruptcy. The written notice required under paragraph (a)(2) of this section shall contain:
( a ) The name and address of the person making such notice and the date of his appointment or of his taking possession of the assets of the debtor or other person whose assets are controlled,
( b ) The name, address, and, for notices filed after December 21, 1972, the taxpayer identification number of the debtor or other person whose assets are controlled.
( c ) In the case of a court proceeding:
( 1 ) The name and location of the court in which the proceedings are pending,
( 2 ) The date on which such proceedings were instituted,
( 3 ) The number under which such proceedings are docketed, and
( 4 ) When possible, the date, time, and place of any hearing, meeting of creditors, or other scheduled action with respect to such proceedings.
(ii) Assignment for benefit of creditors. The written notice required under subparagraph (3) of this paragraph shall contain:
( a ) The name and address of, and the date the asset or assets were assigned to, the assignee,
( b ) The name, address, and, for notice filed after December 21, 1972, the taxpayer identification number of the debtor whose assets were assigned.
( c ) A brief description of the assets assigned,
( d ) An explanation of the action expected to be taken with respect to such assets, and
( e ) When possible, the date, time, and place of any hearing, meeting of creditors, sale, or other scheduled action with respect to such assets.
(iii) The notice required by this section shall be sent to the attention of the Chief, Special Procedures Staff, of the district office to which it is required to be sent.
(b) Executors, administrators, and persons in possession of property of decedent. For provisions relating to the requirement of filing, by an executor, administrator, or person in possession of property of a decedent, of a preliminary notice in the case of the estate of a decedent dying before January 1, 1971, see § 20.6036-1 of this chapter (Estate Tax Regulations).
(c) Notice of fiduciary relationship. When a notice is required under § 301.6903-1 of a person acting in a fiduciary capacity and is also required of such person under this section, notice given in accordance with the provisions of this section shall be considered as complying with both sections.
(d) Suspension of period on assessment. For suspension of the running of the period of limitations on the making of assessments from the date a proceeding is instituted to a date 30 days after receipt of notice from a fiduciary in any proceeding under the Bankruptcy Act or from a receiver in any other court proceeding, see section 6872 and § 301.6872-1.
(e) Applicability. Except as provided in paragraph (a)(1)(ii) of this section, the provisions of this section shall apply to those persons referred to in this section whose appointments, authorizations, or assignments occur on or after the date of publication of these regulations in the Federal Register as a Treasury decision.
(f) Cross references. (1) For criminal penalty for willful failure to supply information, see section 7203.
(2) For criminal penalties for willfully making false or fraudulent statements, see sections 7206 and 7207.
(3) For time for performance of acts where the last day falls on a Saturday, Sunday, or legal holiday, see section 7503 and § 301.7503-1.
Title 26 published on 2015-04-01
The following are ALL rules, proposed rules, and notices (chronologically) published in the Federal Register relating to 26 CFR Part 301 after this date.