26 CFR 301.7512-1 - Separate accounting for certain collected taxes.
(a)Scope. The provisions of section 7512 and this section apply to -
(1) The following taxes imposed by subtitle C of the Code in respect of wages or compensation paid after February 11, 1958, for pay periods beginning after such date:
(i) The employee tax imposed by section 3101 of chapter 21 (Federal Insurance Contributions Act),
(i) The taxes imposed by section 4231 (1), (2), and (3) on amounts paid for admissions, and the tax imposed by section 4231(6) on amounts paid for admission, refreshment, service, or merchandise, at any roof garden, cabaret, or other similar place, to the extent that such tax on amounts paid on or after January 1, 1959, is required to be collected by the proprietor of the roof garden, cabaret, or similar place from a concessionaire in such establishment,
(ii) The taxes imposed by section 4241 on amounts paid as club dues,
(iii) The taxes imposed by section 4251 on amounts paid for communications services or facilities,
(v) The tax imposed by section 4286 on amounts collected for the use of safe deposit boxes.
(b)Requirement. If the district director determines that any person required to collect, account for, and pay over any tax described in paragraph (a) of this section has, at the time and in the manner prescribed by law or regulations, failed to collect, truthfully account for, or pay over any such tax, or make deposits, payments, or returns of any such tax, such person, if notified to do so by the district director in accordance with section 7512 and paragraph (d) of this section, shall -
(1) Collect, at the times and in the manner provided by the law and the regulations in respect of the various taxes described in paragraph (a) of this section, all of the taxes described in such paragraph which become collectible by him after receipt of such notice;
(2) Deposit the taxes so collected, not later than the end of the second banking day after collection, with a bank, as defined in section 581, in a separate account established in accordance with paragraph (c) of this section; and
(c)Trust fund account. The separate bank account referred to in paragraph (b) of this section shall be established under the designation, “(Name of person required to establish account), Trustee, Special Fund in Trust for U.S. under section 7512, I.R.C.”. The taxes deposited in such account shall constitute a fund in trust for the United States payable only to the Internal Revenue Service on demand by the trustee.
(d)Notice. Notice to any person requiring his compliance with the provisions of section 7512(b) and this section shall be in writing and shall be delivered in hand to such person by an internal revenue officer or employee. In the case of a trade or business carried on other than as a sole proprietorship, such as a corporation, partnership, or trust, notice delivered in hand to an officer, partner, or trustee shall be deemed to be notice delivered in hand to such corporation, partnership, or trust and to all officers, partners, trustees, and employees thereof.
(e)Cancellation of notice. The district director may relieve a person to whom notice requiring separate accounting has been given pursuant to section 7512 and this section from further compliance with such separate accounting requirements whenever he is satisfied that such person will comply with all requirements of the Code and the regulations applicable, in respect of the taxes to which the notice relates, in the case of persons not required to comply with the provisions of section 7512(b). Notice of cancellation of the requirement for separate accounting shall be made in writing and shall take effect at such time as is specified in the notice of cancellation.
(f)Penalties. For criminal penalty for failure to comply with any provision of section 7512, see section 7215. For criminal penalties for failure to file return, supply information, or pay tax, for failure to collect or pay over tax, and for attempt to evade or defeat tax, see sections 7203, 7202, and 7201, respectively.
Title 26 published on 2015-12-02
The following are ALL rules, proposed rules, and notices (chronologically) published in the Federal Register relating to 26 CFR Part 301 after this date.
- 26 CFR 31.6302-1 — Deposit Rules for Taxes Under the Federal Insurance Contributions Act (FICA) and Withheld Income Taxes.
- 26 CFR 31.6011(a)-5 — Monthly Returns.
- 26 CFR 31.6302(c)-1 — Use of Government Depositories in Connection With Taxes Under Federal Insurance Contributions Act and Income Tax Withheld for Amounts Attributable to Payments Made Before January 1, 1993.
Title 26 published on 2015-12-02.
The following are only the Rules published in the Federal Register after the published date of Title 26.
For a complete list of all Rules, Proposed Rules, and Notices view the Rulemaking tab.