26 CFR 48.4081-2 - Taxable fuel; tax on removal at a terminal rack.
(c)Liability for tax -
(2)Joint and several liability of terminal operator; unregistered position holder -
(A) Is a taxable fuel registrant;
(C) Has no reason to believe that any information in the notification certificate is false.
(3)Joint and several liability of terminal operator; incorrect information provided. The terminal operator is jointly and severally liable for the tax imposed under paragraph (b) of this section if, in connection with the removal of diesel fuel or kerosene that is not dyed and marked in accordance with § 48.4082-1, the terminal operator provides any person (including the position holder with respect to the fuel) with any bill of lading, shipping paper, record, or similar document indicating that the diesel fuel or kerosene is dyed and marked in accordance with § 48.4082-1.
(ii) Because PH is the position holder of the fuel at the time of the removal from the terminal, PH is liable for the tax imposed by section 4081. The removal is subject to tax because the fuel is not dyed and marked in accordance with § 48. 4082-1, and later use of the fuel in a nontaxable use does not make the removal from the terminal exempt from tax.
(iii) Because PH is a taxable fuel registrant and TO did not provide any person with any paperwork indicating that the fuel is dyed and marked, TO is not jointly and severally liable for tax under paragraph (c) (2) or (3) of this section.
(e)Exemptions. For exemptions from the tax imposed under this section, see §§ 48. 4081-4 (relating to gasoline blendstocks), 48. 4082-1 (relating to dyed diesel fuel and dyed kerosene), 48. 4082-5 (relating to diesel fuel and kerosene used in Alaska), 48. 4082-6 (relating to aviation-grade kerosene), and 48. 4082-7 (relating to kerosene used for a feedstock purpose).
(f)Effective date. This section is applicable after December 31, 1993.
- 26 CFR 48.4041-19 — Exemption for Qualified Methanol and Ethanol Fuel.
- 26 CFR 48.4041-20 — Partially Exempt Methanol and Ethanol Fuel.
- 26 CFR 48.4082-6 — Kerosene; Exemption for Aviation-Grade Kerosene.
- 26 CFR 48.4081-6 — Gasoline; Gasohol.
- 26 CFR 48.4082-7 — Kerosene; Exemption for Feedstock Purposes.
- 26 CFR 48.4081-5 — Taxable Fuel; Notification Certificate of Taxable Fuel Registrant.
- 26 CFR 48.4081-4 — Gasoline; Special Rules for Gasoline Blendstocks.
- 26 CFR 48.4082-5 — Diesel Fuel and Kerosene; Alaska.
- 26 CFR 48.4081-3 — Taxable Fuel; Taxable Events Other Than Removal at the Terminal Rack.