26 CFR § 48.4081-4 - Gasoline; special rules for gasoline blendstocks.
(a) Overview. This section provides rules exempting from tax certain removals, entries, and sales of gasoline blendstocks. Generally, under prescribed conditions, tax is not imposed on gasoline blendstocks that are not used to produce finished gasoline or that are received at an approved terminal or refinery.
(b) Nonbulk removals and entries of gasoline blendstocks not used to produce gasoline -
(1) Removals and entries not in connection with sales. Tax is not imposed under § 48.4081-2(b), § 48.4081-3(b)(1)(ii), or § 48.4081-3(c)(1)(ii) on the removal or entry of gasoline blendstocks not in connection with a sale if -
(2) Removals and entries in connection with sales. Tax is not imposed under § 48.4081-2(b), § 48.4081-3(b)(1)(ii), or § 48.4081-3(c)(1)(ii) on the removal or entry of gasoline blendstocks in connection with a sale if -
(ii) At the time of the sale, such person has an unexpired certificate (described in paragraph (e) of this section) from the buyer and has no reason to believe any information in the certificate is false.
(3) Tax on sales after certain nonbulk removals or entries -
(i) In general. If paragraph (b) (1) or (2) of this section applies to the removal or entry of gasoline blendstocks, tax is imposed on any sale of such blendstocks unless, at the time of the sale, the seller -
(A) Has an unexpired certificate (described in paragraph (e) of this section) from its buyer; and
(B) Has no reason to believe any information in the certificate is false.
(ii) Liability for tax. The seller is liable for the tax imposed under this paragraph (b)(3).
(iii) Rate of tax. For the rate of tax, see section 4081.
(c) Nonbulk removals and entries of gasoline blendstocks received at an approved terminal or refinery. Tax is not imposed under § 48.4081-2(b), § 48.4081-3(b)(1)(ii), or § 48.4081-3(c)(1)(ii) on the removal or entry of gasoline blendstocks that are received at a terminal or refinery if the person otherwise liable for tax under § 48.4081-2(c)(1) (the position holder), § 48.4081-3(b)(3) (the refiner), or § 48.4081-3(c)(2) (the enterer) -
(1) Is a taxable fuel registrant;
(3) Has no reason to believe that any information in the certificate is false.
(d) Bulk transfer to a registered industrial user. Tax is not imposed under § 48.4081-3(e)(1) if, upon the removal of gasoline blendstocks from a pipeline or vessel, the gasoline blendstocks are received by a taxable fuel registrant that is an industrial user.
(e) Certificate -
(1) In general. The certificate to be provided by a buyer of gasoline blendstocks consists of a statement that is signed under penalties of perjury by a person with authority to bind the buyer, is in substantially the same form as the model certificate provided in paragraph (e)(3) of this section, and contains all information necessary to complete such model certificate. A new certificate must be given if any information in the current certificate changes. The certificate may be included as part of any business records normally used to document a sale. The certificate expires on the earliest of the following dates:
(i) The date one year after the effective date of the certificate (which may be no earlier than the date it is signed).
(ii) The date a new certificate is provided to the seller.
(iii) The date the seller is notified by the Internal Revenue Service or the buyer that the buyer's right to provide a certificate has been withdrawn.
(2) Withdrawal of right to provide certificate. The Internal Revenue Service may withdraw the right of a buyer of gasoline blendstocks to provide a certificate under this paragraph (e) if such buyer uses gasoline blendstocks to which a certificate applies in the production of finished gasoline or resells the gasoline blendstocks without obtaining a certificate from its buyer. The Internal Revenue Service may notify any seller to whom the buyer has provided a certificate that the buyer's right to provide a certificate has been withdrawn.
(3) Model certificate.
Name, address, and employer identification number of seller
The undersigned buyer (“Buyer”) hereby certifies the following under penalties of perjury:
This certificate applies to the following (complete as applicable):
If this is a single purchase certificate, check here ______ and enter:
1. Invoice or delivery ticket number ______
2. ______ (number of gallons) of ______ (type of gasoline blendstocks)
If this is a certificate covering all purchases under a specified account or order number, check here ______ and enter:
1. Effective date ______
2. Expiration date ______
3. Type (or types) of gasoline blendstocks ______
4. Buyer account or order number ______
Buyer will provide a new certificate to the seller if any information in this certificate changes.
If Buyer resells the gasoline blendstocks to which this certificate relates, Buyer will be liable for tax unless Buyer obtains a certificate from the purchaser stating that the gasoline blendstocks will not be used to produce finished gasoline and otherwise complies with the conditions of § 48.4081-4(b)(3) of the Manufacturers and Retailers Excise Tax Regulations.
Buyer understands that if Buyer violates the terms of this certificate, the Internal Revenue Service may withdraw Buyer's right to provide a certificate.
Buyer has not been notified by the Internal Revenue Service that its right to provide a certificate has been withdrawn. In addition, the Internal Revenue Service has not notified Buyer that the right to provide a certificate has been withdrawn from a purchaser to which Buyer sells gasoline blendstocks tax free.
Buyer understands that the fraudulent use of this certificate may subject Buyer and all parties making such fraudulent use of this certificate to a fine or imprisonment, or both, together with the costs of prosecution.
Signature and date signed
Printed or typed name of person signing
Title of person signing
Name of Buyer
Employer identification number
Address of Buyer
(f) Effective date. This section is effective January 1, 1994.