26 CFR 48.4082-6 - Kerosene; exemption for aviation-grade kerosene.
(a) Overview. This section prescribes the conditions under which tax does not apply to the removal or entry of aviation-grade kerosene that is destined for use as a fuel in an aircraft.
(b) Definition. For purposes of this section, aviation-grade kerosene means kerosene-type jet fuel covered by ASTM specification D 1655 or military specification MIL-DTL-5624T (Grade JP-5) or MIL-DTL-83133E (Grade JP-8). For availability of ASTM and military specifications, see § 48.4081-1(d).
(c) Exemption for certain removals and entries. Tax is not imposed under § 48.4081-2(b), 48.4081-3(b)(1)(ii), or 48.4081-3(c)(1)(ii) on the removal or entry of aviation-grade kerosene if—
(i) The person otherwise liable for tax delivers the kerosene into the fuel supply tank of an aircraft and this delivery is not in connection with a sale; or
(ii) The kerosene is sold for use as a fuel in an aircraft and, at the time of the sale, the person otherwise liable for tax has an unexpired certificate (described in paragraph (e) of this section) from the buyer and has no reason to believe any information in the certificate is false.
(1) In general. Paragraph (c) of this section does not apply with respect to kerosene that is sold as described in paragraph (c)(3)(ii) of this section if there is a later disqualifying sale of the kerosene. A later disqualifying sale is any later sale other than a later sale—
(i) By a person that, at the time of the sale, has an unexpired certificate (described in paragraph (e) of this section) from the buyer and has no reason to believe that any information in the certificate is false; or
(2) Imposition of tax; liability for tax. Notwithstanding §§ 48.4081-2 and 48.4081-3, in any case in which paragraph (d)(1) of this section applies, tax is imposed with respect to that kerosene at the time of the first later disqualifying sale and the seller in that sale is liable for the tax.
(1) In general. The certificate described in this paragraph (e) is a statement by a buyer that is signed under penalties of perjury by a person with authority to bind the buyer, is in substantially the same form as the model certificate provided in paragraph (e)(3) of this section, and contains all information necessary to complete the model certificate. A new certificate or notice that the current certificate is invalid must be given if any information in the current certificate changes. The certificate may be included as part of any business records normally used to document a sale. The certificate expires on the earliest of the following dates:
(i) The date one year after the effective date of the certificate (which may be no earlier than the date it is signed).
(ii) The date the buyer provides the seller a new certificate or notice that the current certificate is invalid.
(iii) The date the Internal Revenue Service or the buyer notifies the seller that the buyer's right to provide a certificate has been withdrawn.
(2) Withdrawal of the right to provide a certificate. The Internal Revenue Service may withdraw the right of a buyer of aviation-grade kerosene to provide a certificate under this section if the buyer uses the aviation-grade kerosene to which a certificate relates other than as a fuel in an aircraft or sells the kerosene without first obtaining a certificate from its buyer. The Internal Revenue Service may notify any seller to whom the buyer has provided a certificate that the buyer's right to provide a certificate has been withdrawn.
CERTIFICATE OF PERSON BUYING AVIATION-GRADE KEROSENE FOR USE AS A FUEL IN AN AIRCRAFT
(To support tax-free removals and entries of aviation-grade kerosene under section 4082 of the Internal Revenue Code.)
_____(Buyer) certifies the following
Name of Buyer
under penalties of perjury:
The aviation-grade kerosene to which this certificate applies will be used by Buyer as a fuel in an aircraft or resold by Buyer for that use.
This certificate applies to ____ percent of Buyer's purchases from ____________ (name, address, and employer identification number of seller) as follows (complete as applicable):
1. A single purchase on invoice or delivery ticket number ______.
2. All purchases between ______ (effective date) and ______ (expiration date) (period not to exceed one year after the effective date) under account or order number(s) ______. If this certificate applies only to Buyer's purchases for certain locations, check here ____ and list the locations.
Buyer is buying the kerosene for (check either or both as applicable): __ Buyer's use as a fuel in an aircraft. __ Resale for use as a fuel in an aircraft.
Buyer will provide a new certificate to the seller if any information in this certificate changes.
If Buyer sells the aviation-grade kerosene to which this certificate relates and does not deliver it into the fuel supply tank of an aircraft, Buyer will be liable for tax unless Buyer obtains a certificate from its buyer stating that the aviation-grade kerosene will be used as a fuel in an aircraft.
If Buyer violates the terms of this certificate, the Internal Revenue Service may withdraw Buyer's right to provide a certificate.
Buyer has not been notified by the Internal Revenue Service that its right to provide a certificate has been withdrawn.
The fraudulent use of this certificate may subject Buyer and all parties making any fraudulent use of this certificate to a fine or imprisonment, or both, together with the costs of prosecution.
Printed or typed name of person signing
Title of person signing
Employer identification number
Address of Buyer
Signature and date signed
(f) Effective date. This section is applicable after March 30, 2000, except that paragraph (d) of this section is applicable after June 30, 2000.
[T.D. 8879, 65 FR 17158, Mar. 31, 2000]
Title 26 published on 2015-04-01.
No entries appear in the Federal Register after this date, for 26 CFR Part 48.