26 CFR 509.108 - Dividends.
(1) The rate of United States tax imposed by the Internal Revenue Code of 1954 upon dividends derived from sources within the United States by a nonresident alien individual who is a resident of Switzerland, or by a Swiss corporation or other entity, shall not exceed 15 percent under the provisions of Article VI of the convention, if such alien, corporation, or other entity at no time during the taxable year in which such dividends are derived has a permanent establishment in the United States.
(2) If, for example, a nonresident alien individual who is a resident of Switzerland performs personal services within the United States during the taxable year, but has at no time during such year a permanent establishment within the United States, he is entitled to the reduced rate of tax with respect to dividends derived in that year from United States sources, as provided in Article VI of the convention, even though under the provisions of section 871(c) of the Internal Revenue Code of 1954 he has engaged in trade or business within the United States during such year by reason of his having performed personal services therein.
(b) Dividends paid by related corporation. The rate of United States tax imposed by the Internal Revenue Code of 1954 upon dividends derived from sources within the United States by a Swiss corporation shall not exceed 5 percent under the provisions of Article VI (2) of the convention if:
(1) The Swiss corporation is a shareholder which controls, directly or indirectly, at the time the dividend is paid 95 percent or more of the entire voting power in the corporation paying the dividend;
(2) Not more than 25 percent of the gross income of the paying corporation for the three-year period immediately preceding the taxable year in which the dividend is paid consists of dividends and interest (other than dividends and interest received by such paying corporation from its own subsidiary corporations, if any);
(3) The relationship between the paying corporation and the Swiss corporation has not been arranged or maintained primarily with the intention of securing the reduced rate of 5 percent; and