28 CFR § 32.33 - Definitions.
Assistance means financial assistance.
Educational assistance benefits means benefits specifically to assist in paying educational expenses.
Educational expenses means such of the following as may be in furtherance of the educational, professional, or vocational objective of the program of education that forms the basis of a financial claim:
(1) Tuition and fees, as described in 20 U.S.C. 1087ll(1) (higher education assistance);
(2) Reasonable expenses for -
(i) Room and board (if incurred for attendance on at least a half-time basis);
(iii) Computer equipment;
(v) Transportation; and
(3) For attendance on at least a three-quarter-time basis, a standard allowance for miscellaneous personal expenses that is the greater of -
(i) The allowance for such expenses, as established by the eligible educational institution for purposes of financial aid; or
(ii) $200.00 per month.
Eligible educational expenses means a claimant's educational expenses, reduced by the amount of educational assistance benefits from non-governmental organizations that the claimant has received or will receive.
Eligible public safety officer means a public safety officer -
(1) With respect to whose death, benefits under subpart B of this part properly -
(i) Have been paid; or
(ii) Would have been paid but for operation of the Act, at 34 U.S.C. 10281(f); or
(2) With respect to whose disability, benefits under subpart C of this part properly -
(i) Have been paid; or
(ii) Would have been paid, but for operation of -
(A) Paragraph (b) of § 32.6; or
(B) The Act, at 34 U.S.C. 10281(f).
(2) His expected family contribution calculated pursuant to 20 U.S.C. 1087nn (higher education assistance).
Funds means financial assistance.
Grading period means the period of attendance (e.g., a semester, a trimester, a quarter) in a program of education, after (or with respect to) which period grades are assigned, units of credit are awarded, or courses are considered completed, as determined by the eligible educational institution.
Spouse of an eligible public safety officer at the time of the officer's death or on the date of a totally and permanently disabling injury means the spouse of a public safety officer (which officer is an eligible public safety officer) as of -
(1) The date of the officer's death (with respect to a claim by virtue of such death); or
The following state regulations pages link to this page.