28 CFR 42.105 - Assurance required.
(1) Every application for Federal financial assistance to which this subpart applies, and every application for Federal financial assistance to provide a facility shall, as a condition to its approval and the extension of any Federal financial assistance pursuant to the application, contain or be accompanied by an assurance that the program will be conducted or the facility operated in compliance with all requirements imposed by or pursuant to this subpart. In the case where the Federal financial assistance is to provide or is in the form of personal property, or real property or interest therein or structures thereon, such assurance shall obligate the recipient, or, in the case of a subsequent transfer, the transferee, for the period during which the property is used for a purpose for which the Federal financial assistance is extended or for another purpose involving the provision of similar services or benefits, or for as long as the recipient retains ownership or possession of the property, whichever is longer. In all other cases, such assurance shall obligate the recipient for the period during which Federal financial assistance is extended pursuant to the application. The responsible Department official shall specify the form of the foregoing assurances, and the extent to which like assurances will be required of subgrantees, contractors, and subcontractors, transferees, successors in interest, and other participants. Any such assurance shall include provisions which give the United States a right to seek its judicial enforcement.
(2) In the case of real property, structures or improvements thereon, or interest therein, which was acquired with Federal financial assistance, or in the case where Federal financial assistance is provided in the form of a transfer of real property or interest therein from the Federal Government, the instrument effecting or recording the transfer shall contain a convenant running with the land assuring nondiscrimination for the period during which the real property is used for a purpose for which the Federal financial assistance is extended or for another purpose involving the provision of similar services or benefits. Where no transfer of property is involved, but property is improved with Federal financial assistance, the recipient shall agree to include such a covenant in any subsequent transfer of such property. Where the property is obtained from the Federal Government, such covenant may also include a condition coupled with a right to be reserved by the Department to revert title to the property in the event of a breach of the covenant where, in the discretion of the responsible Department official, such a condition and right of reverter are appropriate to the statute under which the real property is obtained and to the nature of the grant and the grantee.
(b) Assurances from government agencies. In the case of any application from any department, agency, or office of any State or local government for Federal financial assistance for any specified purpose, the assurance required by this section shall extend to any other department, agency, or office of the same governmental unit if the policies of such other department, agency, or office will substantially affect the project for which Federal financial assistance is requested.
(c) Assurance from academic and other institutions.
(1) In the case of any application for Federal financial assistance for any purpose to an academic institution, the assurance required by this section shall extend to admission practices and to all other practices relating to the treatment of students.
(2) The assurance required with respect to an academic institution, detention or correctional facility, or any other institution or facility, insofar as the assurance relates to the institution's practices with respect to admission or other treatment of individuals as students, patients, wards, inmates, persons subject to control, or clients of the institution or facility or to the opportunity to participate in the provision of services, disposition, treatment, or benefits to such individuals, shall be applicable to the entire institution or facility.
(d) Continuing Federal financial assistance. Any State or State agency applying for continuing Federal financial assistance subject to this regulation shall as a condition for the extension of such assistance:
(1) Provide a statement that the program is (or, in the case of a new program, will be) conducted in compliance with this regulation, and
(2) Provide for such methods of administration as are found by the responsible Department official to give reasonable assurance that the primary recipient and all other recipients of Federal financial assistance under such program will comply with this regulation.