28 CFR 5.100 - Definition of terms.
(a) As used in this part:
(1) The term Act means the Foreign Agents Registration Act of 1938, as amended (22 U.S.C. 611-621).
(2) The term Attorney General means the Attorney General of the United States.
(3) The term Assistant Attorney General means the Assistant Attorney General for National Security, Department of Justice, Washington, DC 20530.
(4) The term Secretary of State means the Secretary of State of the United States.
(5) The term rules and regulations includes the regulations in this part and all other rules and regulations prescribed by the Attorney General pursuant to the Act and all registration forms and instructions thereon that may be prescribed by the regulations in this part or by the Assistant Attorney General for National Security.
(6) The term registrant means any person who has filed a registration statement with the Registration Unit, pursuant to section 2(a) of the Act and § 5.3.
(7) Unless otherwise specified, the term agent of a foreign principal means an agent of a foreign principal required to register under the Act.
(8) The term foreign principal includes a person any of whose activities are directed or indirectly supervised, directed, controlled, financed, or subsidized in whole or in major part by a foreign principal as that term is defined in section 1(b) of the Act.
(9) The term initial statement means the statement required to be filed with the Attorney General under section 2(a) of the Act.
(10) The term supplemental statement means the supplement required to be filed with the Attorney General under section 2(b) of the Act at intervals of 6 months following the filing of the initial statement.
(11) The term final statement means the statement required to be filed with the Attorney General following the termination of the registrant's obligation to register.
(12) The term short form registration statement means the registration statement required to be filed by certain partners, officers, directors, associates, employees, and agents of a registrant.
(b) As used in the Act, the term control or any of its variants shall be deemed to include the possession or the exercise of the power, directly or indirectly, to determine the policies or the activities of a person, whether through the ownership of voting rights, by contract, or otherwise.
(c) The term agency as used in sections 1(c), 1(o), 3(g), and 4(e) of the Act shall be deemed to refer to every unit in the executive and legislative branches of the Government of the United States, including committees of both Houses of Congress.
(d) The term official as used in sections 1(c), 1(o), 3(g), and 4(e) of the Act shall be deemed to include Members and officers of both Houses of Congress as well as officials in the executive branch of the Government of the United States.
(e) The terms formulating, adopting, or changing, as used in section 1(o) of the Act, shall be deemed to include any activity which seeks to maintain any existing domestic or foreign policy of the United States. They do not include making a routine inquiry of a Government official or employee concerning a current policy or seeking administrative action in a matter where such policy is not in question.
(f) The term domestic or foreign policies of the United States, as used in sections 1 (o) and (p) of the Act, shall be deemed to relate to existing and proposed legislation, or legislative action generally; treaties; executive agreements, proclamations, and orders; decisions relating to or affecting departmental or agency policy, and the like.