28 CFR 550.55 - Eligibility for early release.
(a) Eligibility. Inmates may be eligible for early release by a period not to exceed twelve months if they:
(1) Were sentenced to a term of imprisonment under either:
(i) 18 U.S.C. Chapter 227, Subchapter D for a nonviolent offense; or
(ii) D.C. Code § 24-403.01 for a nonviolent offense, meaning an offense other than those included within the definition of “crime of violence” in D.C. Code § 23-1331(4); and
(2) Successfully complete a RDAP, as described in § 550.53, during their current commitment.
(b) Inmates not eligible for early release. As an exercise of the Director's discretion, the following categories of inmates are not eligible for early release:
(1) Immigration and Customs Enforcement detainees;
(2) Pretrial inmates;
(3) Contractual boarders (for example, State or military inmates);
(4) Inmates who have a prior felony or misdemeanor conviction for:
(i) Homicide (including deaths caused by recklessness, but not including deaths caused by negligence or justifiable homicide);
(ii) Forcible rape;
(iv) Aggravated assault;
(vi) Kidnaping; or
(vii) An offense that by its nature or conduct involves sexual abuse offenses committed upon minors;
(5) Inmates who have a current felony conviction for:
(i) An offense that has as an element, the actual, attempted, or threatened use of physical force against the person or property of another;
(ii) An offense that involved the carrying, possession, or use of a firearm or other dangerous weapon or explosives (including any explosive material or explosive device);
(iii) An offense that, by its nature or conduct, presents a serious potential risk of physical force against the person or property of another; or
(iv) An offense that, by its nature or conduct, involves sexual abuse offenses committed upon minors;
(6) Inmates who have been convicted of an attempt, conspiracy, or other offense which involved an underlying offense listed in paragraph (b)(4) and/or (b)(5) of this section; or
(7) Inmates who previously received an early release under 18 U.S.C. 3621(e).
(c) Early release time-frame.
(1) Inmates so approved may receive early release up to twelve months prior to the expiration of the term of incarceration, except as provided in paragraphs (c)(2) and (3) of this section.
(3) If inmates cannot fulfill their community-based treatment obligations by the presumptive release date, we may adjust provisional release dates by the least amount of time necessary to allow inmates to fulfill their treatment obligations.
Title 28 published on 2015-07-01
The following are ALL rules, proposed rules, and notices (chronologically) published in the Federal Register relating to 28 CFR Part 550 after this date.