28 CFR 79.11 - Definitions.
(a) Affected area means one of the following geographical areas, as they were recognized by the state in which they are located, as of July 10, 2000:
(1) In the State of Utah, the counties of Beaver, Garfield, Iron, Kane, Millard, Piute, San Juan, Sevier, Washington, and Wayne;
(2) In the State of Nevada, the counties of Eureka, Lander, Lincoln, Nye, White Pine, and that portion of Clark County that consists of townships 13 through 16 at ranges 63 through 71;
(3) In the State of Arizona, the counties of Coconino, Yavapai, Navajo, Apache, Gila, and that part of Arizona that is north of the Grand Canyon.
(b) Atmospheric detonation of a nuclear device means only a test conducted by the United States prior to January 1, 1963, as listed in § 79.31(d).
(c) Designated time period means the period beginning on January 21, 1951, and ending on October 31, 1958, or the period beginning on June 30, 1962, and ending on July 31, 1962, whichever is applicable.
(d) First exposure or initial exposure means the date on which the claimant was first physically present in the affected area during the designated time period, or the date on which the claimant first participated onsite in an atmospheric detonation of a nuclear device, whichever is applicable.
(e) Leukemia means any medically recognized form of acute or chronic leukemia other than chronic lymphocytic leukemia.
(f) Onsite means physical presence above or within the official boundaries of any of the following locations:
(1) The Nevada Test Site (NTS), Nevada;
(2) The Pacific Test Sites (Bikini Atoll, Enewetak Atoll, Johnston Island, Christmas Island, the test site for the shot during Operation Wigwam, the test site for Shot Yucca during Operation Hardtack I, and the test sites for Shot Frigate Bird and Shot Swordfish during Operation Dominic I) and the official zone around each site from which non-test affiliated ships were excluded for security and safety purposes;
(3) The Trinity Test Site (TTS), New Mexico;
(4) The South Atlantic Test Site for Operation Argus and the official zone around the site from which non-test affiliated ships were excluded for security and safety purposes;
(5) Any designated location within a Naval Shipyard, Air Force Base, or other official government installation where ships, aircraft, or other equipment used in an atmospheric nuclear detonation were decontaminated; or
(6) Any designated location used for the purpose of monitoring fallout from an atmospheric nuclear test conducted at the Nevada Test Site.
(g) Participant means an individual -
(1) Who was:
(i) A member of the armed forces;
(ii) A civilian employee or contract employee of the Manhattan Engineer District, the Armed Forces Special Weapons Project, the Defense Atomic Support Agency, the Defense Nuclear Agency, or the Department of Defense or its components or agencies or predecessor components or agencies;
(iii) An employee or contract employee of the Atomic Energy Commission, the Energy Research and Development Administration, or the Department of Energy;
(iv) A member of the Federal Civil Defense Administration or the Office of Civil and Defense Mobilization; or
(v) A member of the United States Public Health Service; and
(i) Performed duties within the identified operational area around each atmospheric detonation of a nuclear device;
(ii) Participated in the decontamination of any ships, planes, or equipment used during the atmospheric detonation of a nuclear device;
(iii) Performed duties as a cloud tracker or cloud sampler;
(iv) Served as a member of the garrison or maintenance forces on the atoll of Enewetak between June 21, 1951, and July 1, 1952; between August 7, 1956, and August 7, 1957; or between November 1, 1958, and April 30, 1959; or
(v) Performed duties as a member of a mobile radiological safety team monitoring the pattern of fallout from an atmospheric detonation of a nuclear device.
(h) Period of atmospheric nuclear testing means any of the periods associated with each test operation specified in § 79.31(d), plus an additional six-month period thereafter.
(i) Physically present (or physical presence) means present (or presence) for a substantial period of each day.