29 CFR 1635.1 - Purpose.
(a) The purpose of this part is to implement Title II of the Genetic Information Nondiscrimination Act of 2008, 42 U.S.C. 2000ff, et seq. Title II of GINA:
(1) Prohibits use of genetic information in employment decision-making;
(2) Restricts employers and other entities subject to Title II of GINA from requesting, requiring, or purchasing genetic information;
(3) Requires that genetic information be maintained as a confidential medical record, and places strict limits on disclosure of genetic information; and
(4) Provides remedies for individuals whose genetic information is acquired, used, or disclosed in violation of its protections.
(b) This part does not apply to actions of covered entities that do not pertain to an individual's status as an employee, member of a labor organization, or participant in an apprenticeship program. For example, this part would not apply to:
(1) A medical examination of an individual for the purpose of diagnosis and treatment unrelated to employment, which is conducted by a health care professional at the hospital or other health care facility where the individual is an employee; or
(2) Activities of a covered entity carried on in its capacity as a law enforcement agency investigating criminal conduct, even where the subject of the investigation is an employee of the covered entity.