29 CFR 1926.1426 - Free fall and controlled load lowering.
(a)Boom free fall prohibitions.
(ii) An employee is being hoisted.
(iii) The load or boom is directly over a power line, or over any part of the area extending the Table A of § 1926.1408 clearance distance to each side of the power line; or any part of the area extending the Table A clearance distance to each side of the power line is within the radius of vertical travel of the boom or the load.
(vi) Lifting operations are taking place in a refinery or tank farm.
(i) The equipment was manufactured prior to October 31, 1984; or
(b)Preventing boom free fall. Where the use of equipment with a boom that is designed to free fall (live boom) is prohibited, the boom hoist must have a secondary mechanism or device designed to prevent the boom from falling in the event the primary system used to hold or regulate the boom hoist fails, as follows:
(1) Friction drums must have:
(i) A friction clutch and, in addition, a braking device, to allow for controlled boom lowering.
(ii) A secondary braking or locking device, which is manually or automatically engaged, to back-up the primary brake while the boom is held (such as a secondary friction brake or a ratchet and pawl device).
(3) Neither clutches nor hydraulic motors must be considered brake or locking devices for purposes of this subpart.
(4) Hydraulic boom cylinders must have an integrally mounted holding device.
(c)Preventing uncontrolled retraction. Hydraulic telescoping booms must have an integrally mounted holding device to prevent the boom from retracting in the event of hydraulic failure.
(2) An employee is being hoisted.
(3) The load is directly over a power line, or over any part of the area extending the Table A of § 1926.1408 clearance distance to each side of the power line; or any part of the area extending the Table A of § 1926.1408 clearance distance to each side of the power line is within the radius of vertical travel of the load.
(4) The load is over a shaft.
Title 29 published on 2015-12-03
The following are ALL rules, proposed rules, and notices (chronologically) published in the Federal Register relating to 29 CFR Part 1926 after this date.
- 29 CFR 1926.1440 — Sideboom Cranes.
- 29 CFR 1926.1441 — Equipment With a Rated Hoisting/Lifting Capacity of 2,000 Pounds or Less.
- 29 CFR 1926.1414 — Wire Rope - Selection and Installation Criteria.
- 29 CFR 1926.1425 — Keeping Clear of the Load.
- 29 CFR 1926.1438 — Overhead & Gantry Cranes.
- 29 CFR 1926.1431 — Hoisting Personnel.
Title 29 published on 2015-12-03.
The following are only the Rules published in the Federal Register after the published date of Title 29.
For a complete list of all Rules, Proposed Rules, and Notices view the Rulemaking tab.