29 CFR 34.40 - Compliance reviews.
(a) The Director may from time to time conduct pre- and post-approval compliance reviews of grant applicants for and recipients of Federal financial assistance under JTPA to determine compliance with the nondiscrimination and equal opportunity provisions of JTPA and this part. Techniques used in such reviews may include desk reviews, on-site reviews, and off-site analyses.
(1) As appropriate and necessary to ensure compliance with the nondiscrimination and equal opportunity provisions of JTPA or this part, the Director may review any application, or class of applications, for Federal financial assistance under JTPA prior to and as a condition of their approval. The basis for such review shall be the assurance specified in § 34.20, information and reports submitted by the grant applicant pursuant to this part or guidelines published by the Director, and any relevant records on file with the Department.
(2) Where the Director determines that the grant applicant for Federal financial assistance under JTPA, if funded, would not comply with the nondiscrimination and equal opportunity requirements of JTPA or this part, the Director shall issue a Letter of Findings. Such Letter of Findings shall advise the grant applicant, in writing, of:
(i) The preliminary findings of the review;
(ii) The proposed remedial or corrective action pursuant to § 34.44 and the time within which the remedial or corrective action should be completed;
(iv) The opportunity to engage in voluntary compliance negotiations.
(3) If a grant applicant has agreed to certain remedial or corrective actions in order to receive Federal financial assistance under JTPA, the Department shall ensure that the remedial or corrective actions have been taken or that a Conciliation Agreement has been entered into, prior to approving the award of further assistance under JTPA. If a grant applicant refuses or fails to take remedial or corrective actions or to enter into a Conciliation Agreement, as applicable, the Director shall follow the procedures outlined in § 34.46.
(4) The Director shall notify, in a timely manner, the departmental granting agency of the findings of the pre-approval compliance review.
(1) The Director may initiate a post-approval review of any recipient to determine compliance with the nondiscrimination and equal opportunity provisions of JTPA and this part. The initiation of a review may be based on, but need not be limited to, the following: The results of routine program monitoring, the nature of or incidence of complaints, the date of the last review, and Congressional or community concerns.
(2) Such review shall be initiated by a Notification Letter, advising the recipient of:
(i) The practices to be reviewed;
(ii) The programs to be reviewed;
(iii) The data to be submitted by the recipient within 30 days of the receipt of the Notification Letter; and
(iv) The opportunity, at any time prior to receipt of the Final Determination described in § 34.46, to make a documentary or other submission which explains, validates or otherwise addresses the practices under review.
(i) Issue a Letter of Findings, which shall advise the recipient, in writing, of:
(A) The preliminary findings of the review;
(B) Where appropriate, the proposed remedial or corrective action to be taken, and the time by which such action should be completed, as provided in § 34.44;
(D) The opportunity to engage in voluntary compliance negotiations.
(ii) Where no violation is found, the recipient shall be so informed in writing.