30 CFR § 291.107 - How do I answer a complaint?

§ 291.107 How do I answer a complaint?

(a) If you have been served a complaint under § 291.106, you must file an answer within 60 days of receiving the complaint. If you miss this deadline, BSEE may disregard your answer. We consider your answer to be filed when the BSEE Director receives it at the following address: Director, Bureau of Safety and Environmental Enforcement, Attention: Office of Policy and Analysis, 1849 C Street, NW., Mail Stop 5438, Washington, DC 20240-0001.

(b) For purposes of this paragraph, an answer means a comprehensive written brief stating the legal and factual basis refuting the allegations in the complaint, together with supporting material. You must:

(1) Attach to your answer a copy of the complaint or reference the assigned BSEE docket number (you may obtain the docket number by calling the Office of Policy and Analysis at (202) 208-1901);

(2) Explain in your answer why the action or inaction alleged in the complaint does not violate 43 U.S.C. 1334(e) or (f)(1)(A);

(3) Include with your answer all documents in your possession or that you can otherwise obtain that support the facts in your answer including, but not limited to, contracts and any affidavits that may be necessary to support particular factual allegations; and

(4) Provide a copy of your answer to all parties named in the complaint including the complainant. If you make a claim under § 291.111 for confidentiality, serve the redacted copy and proposed form of a protective agreement to all parties named in the complaint, including the complainant.

[76 FR 64462, Oct. 18, 2011, as amended at 81 FR 36154, June 6, 2016]