30 CFR 62.160 - Hearing protectors.
(1) Train the miner in accordance with § 62.180 of this part;
(2) Allow the miner to choose a hearing protector from at least two muff types and two plug types, and in the event dual hearing protectors are required, to choose one of each type;
(3) Ensure that the hearing protector is in good condition and is fitted and maintained in accordance with the manufacturer's instructions;
(4) Provide the hearing protector and necessary replacements at no cost to the miner; and
(5) Allow the miner to choose a different hearing protector(s), if wearing the selected hearing protector(s) is subsequently precluded due to medical pathology of the ear.
(b) The mine operator must ensure, after satisfying the requirements of paragraph (a) of this section, that a miner wears a hearing protector whenever the miner's noise exposure exceeds the permissible exposure level before the implementation of engineering and administrative controls, or if the miner's noise exposure continues to exceed the permissible exposure level despite the use of all feasible engineering and administrative controls.
(c) The mine operator must ensure, after satisfying the requirements of paragraph (a) of this section, that a miner wears a hearing protector when the miner's noise exposure is at or above the action level, if:
(1) The miner has incurred a standard threshold shift; or
(2) More than 6 months will pass before the miner can take a baseline audiogram.