30 CFR 731.14 - Content requirements for program submissions.
prev | next
The program shall demonstrate that the State has the capability of carrying out the provisions of the Act and this chapter and achieving their purposes by providing a complete description of the system for implementing, administering and enforcing a State program including, at a minimum—
(a) A copy of the State laws in effect at the time of submission of the program which regulate coal exploration and surface coal mining and reclamation operations, a copy of any State regulations promulgated to implement and enforce those State laws and any amendments to State laws and regulations which are in the process of enactment and have been determined by the State to be essential to allow for program approval;
(b) Copies of other State laws and regulations directly affecting the regulation of coal exploration and surface coal mining and reclamation operations, and amendments to such other laws or regulations which affect the regulation of coal exploration and surface coal mining and reclamation operations which are being considered or are pending;
(1) A legal opinion from the Attorney General of the State or chief legal officer of the State regulatory authority stating that the State has the legal authority under existing laws and regulations, or will have authority under amendments to laws and regulations which are in the process of enactment, to implement, administer and enforce the program and to regulate coal exploration and surface coal mining and reclamation operations in accordance with the Act and consistent with this chapter.
(2) A section-by-section comparison of the State's law and regulations and amendments which are in the process of enactment with the Act and this chapter, explaining any differences and their legal effect;
(d) A copy of the legal document which designates one State agency as the regulatory authority and authorizes that agency to implement, administer and enforce a State program and to submit grant applications and receive and administer grants under this subchapter;
(1) A description, including appropriate charts, of the existing and proposed structural organization of the agency designated as the regulatory authority and of other agencies or applicable divisions or departments of those agencies which will have duties in the State program. The description must indicate the coordination system between these agencies and lines of authority and the staffing functions within each agency and between agencies.
(2) A summary table of the existing and proposed State program staff, showing job functions, title and required job experience and training, and a description of how the staffing proposed for the State program will be adequate to carry out the functions, including permitting, inspection and legal actions for the projected workload to ensure that coal exploration and surface coal mining and reclamation operations will be regulated in accordance with the requirements of the Act and this chapter;
(1) Receiving notices of intention to explore and applications for new, revised or renewed approvals for coal exploration and permits for surface coal mining and reclamation operations, reviewing those applications, approving or disapproving requests for exploration approvals, permits, permit revisions and renewals;
(3) Implementing, administering and enforcing a system of performance bonds and liability insurance or other equivalent guarantees;
(4) Inspecting and monitoring coal exploration and surface coal mining and reclamation operations including provisions for public participation in the process;
(5) Enforcing the administrative, civil and criminal sanctions of State laws and regulations for violation of any requirement of those laws relating to the regulation of coal exploration and surface coal mining and reclamation operations;
(9) Coordinating issuance of permits required under the Act and this chapter with other State, Federal and local agencies;
(10) Consulting with State and Federal agencies having responsibility for the protection or management of fish and wildlife and related environmental values.
(11) Designating lands unsuitable for surface coal mining operations, including provisions for terminating those designations and for public participation in the designation process;
(12) Monitoring, reviewing and enforcing restrictions against direct and indirect financial interests of State employees in surface coal mining and reclamation operations;
(13) Training, examining and certifying blasters, except that no State program is required to implement this provision until six months after the Federal regulations for the provision have been promulgated;
(14) Providing for public participation in the development, revision and enforcement of State regulations, the State program, and permits under the State program;
(15) Providing administrative and judicial review of actions provided for in the State program including inspection and enforcement actions; and
(16) Providing the determination of probable hydrologic consequences and the statement of the results of test borings or core samples required by section 507(c) of the Act.
(17) Consulting with State, Federal, and local agencies having responsibility for historic, cultural, and archeological resources, and for making decisions regarding such resources.
(h) Statistical information describing coal exploration and surface coal mining and reclamation operations in the State, adequate to demonstrate that the provisions of the State program and the resources available to it are sufficient when compared to the current and projected coal mining activities in the State;
(i) A description of the actual capital and operating budget, including source of funds, used or proposed to be used to administer the State program for the prior and current fiscal years, and the projected annual budget for each of the next two fiscal years, assuming supplemental funding pursuant to an approved State program and grants under 30 CFR part 735; and a description of the existing and proposed physical resources for use in the program.
[44 FR 15324, Mar. 13, 1979, as amended at 47 FR 26364, June 17, 1982; 48 FR 2272, Jan. 18, 1983; 52 FR 4261, Feb. 10, 1987]
Title 30 published on 2014-07-01.
No entries appear in the Federal Register after this date, for 30 CFR Part 731.