30 CFR 774.17 - Transfer, assignment, or sale of permit rights.
prev | next
(a) General. No transfer, assignment, or sale of rights granted by a permit shall be made without the prior written approval of the regulatory authority. At its discretion, the regulatory authority may allow a prospective successor in interest to engage in surface coal mining and reclamation operations under the permit during the pendency of an application for approval of a transfer, assignment, or sale of permit rights submitted under paragraph (b) of this section, provided that the prospective successor in interest can demonstrate to the satisfaction of the regulatory authority that sufficient bond coverage will remain in place.
(b) Application requirements. An applicant for approval of the transfer, assignment, or sale of permit rights shall—
(1) Provide the regulatory authority with an application for approval of the proposed transfer, assignment, or sale including—
(iii) The legal, financial, compliance, and related information required by part 778 of this chapter for the applicant for approval of the transfer, assignment, or sale of permit rights.
(2) Advertise the filing of the application in a newspaper of general circulation in the locality of the operations involved, indicating the name and address of the applicant, the permittee, the permit number or other identifier, the geographic location of the permit, and the address to which written comments may be sent;
(3) Obtain appropriate performance bond coverage in an amount sufficient to cover the proposed operations, as required under subchapter J of this chapter.
(c) Public participation. Any person having an interest which is or may be adversely affected by a decision on the transfer, assignment, or sale of permit rights, including an official of any Federal, State, or local government agency, may submit written comments on the application to the regulatory authority within a time specified by the regulatory authority.
(d) Criteria for approval. The regulatory authority may allow a permittee to transfer, assign, or sell permit rights to a successor, if it finds in writing that the successor—
(2) Has submitted a performance bond or other guarantee, or obtained the bond coverage of the original permittee, as required by subchapter J of this chapter; and
(1) The regulatory authority shall notify the permittee, the successor, commenters, and OSM, if OSM is not the regulatory authority, of its findings.
(2) The successor shall immediately provide notice to the regulatory authority of the consummation of the transfer, assignment, or sale of permit rights.
(f) Continued operation under existing permit. The successor in interest shall assume the liability and reclamation responsibilities of the existing permit and shall conduct the surface coal mining and reclamation operations in full compliance with the Act, the regulatory program, and the terms and conditions of the existing permit, unless the applicant has obtained a new or revised permit as provided in this subchapter.
Title 30 published on 2014-07-01
no entries appear in the Federal Register after this date.