30 CFR 816.105 - What special provisions for backfilling, grading, and surface configuration apply to sites with thick overburden?
(a)Applicability. This section applies only where the thickness of all overburden strata multiplied by the swell factor for those strata plus the thickness of any waste materials to be returned to the mined-out area exceeds the combined thickness of the overburden strata and the coal seam or seams in place to the extent that there is more material than can be used to restore the approximate original contour. Specifically, the amount of material to be returned to the mined-out area is so large that it is not possible to achieve a surface configuration that closely resembles the surface configuration of the mined land prior to any mining.
(b)Performance standards. Where thick overburden as described in paragraph (a) of this section occurs within the permit area, you must backfill all mined areas and grade all disturbed areas in accordance with the plan approved in the permit under § 780.12(d) of this chapter. At a minimum, you must -
(1) Backfill the mined-out area to the approximate original contour and then place the remaining spoil and waste materials on top of the backfilled area to the extent possible, as determined in accordance with the excess spoil minimization requirements of § 780.35(b) of this chapter.
(2) Grade the backfilled area to the lowest practicable grade that is ecologically sound, consistent with the postmining land use, and compatible with the surrounding region. No slope may exceed the angle of repose.
(3) Comply with the requirements of paragraphs (a)(2) through (f) of § 816.102 of this part.
(5) Ensure that the final surface configuration blends into and complements the drainage pattern of the surrounding terrain to the extent possible.
- 30 CFR 816.102 — How Must I Backfill the Mined Area and Grade and Configure the Land Surface?
- 30 CFR 701.5 — Definitions.
- 30 CFR 785.16 — What Special Provisions Apply to Proposed Variances From Approximate Original Contour Restoration Requirements for Steep-Slope Mining?
- 30 CFR 785.14 — What Special Provisions Apply to Mountaintop Removal Mining Operations?
- 30 CFR 824.11 — What Special Performance Standards Apply to Mountaintop Removal Mining Operations?