30 CFR 816.74 - What special requirements apply to the disposal of excess spoil on a preexisting bench?
(2) The proposed operation will comply with the applicable requirements of § 816.102 of this part; and
(3) The requirements of this section are met.
(b)Requirements for removal and disposition of vegetation, other organic matter, and soil materials. You must remove all vegetation, other organic matter, topsoil, and subsoil from the disposal area prior to placement of the excess spoil and store, redistribute, or otherwise use those materials in accordance with § 816.22 of this part. You may use soil substitutes and supplements if approved in the permit in accordance with § 780.12(e) of this chapter.
(1) The fill must be designed and constructed using current, prudent engineering practices.
(2) The design must be certified by a registered professional engineer.
(3) If the disposal area contains springs, natural or manmade water courses, or wet weather seeps, the fill design must include underdrains and temporary diversions as necessary to control erosion, prevent water infiltration into the fill, and ensure stability. Underdrains must comply with the requirements of § 816.71(f)(3) of this part.
(1) The spoil must be placed on the solid portion of the bench in a controlled manner and concurrently compacted as necessary to attain a long-term static safety factor of 1.3 for all portions of the fill.
(e) You must grade the spoil placed on the preexisting bench to -
(1) Achieve a stable slope that does not exceed the angle of repose.
(3) Minimize erosion and water pollution both on and off the site.
(f) All disturbed areas, including diversion channels that are not riprapped or otherwise protected, must be revegetated upon completion of construction.
(h) The final configuration of the fill on the preexisting bench must -
(1) Be compatible with natural drainage patterns and the surrounding area.
(2) Support the approved postmining land use.
Title 30 published on 2015-10-21
The following are ALL rules, proposed rules, and notices (chronologically) published in the Federal Register relating to 30 CFR Part 816 after this date.
- 30 CFR 780.35 — What Information Must I Provide Concerning the Minimization and Disposal of Excess Spoil?
- 30 CFR 816.102 — How Must I Backfill the Mined Area and Grade and Configure the Land Surface?
- 30 CFR 824.11 — What Special Performance Standards Apply to Mountaintop Removal Mining Operations?
- 30 CFR 942.816 — Performance Standards - Surface Mining Activities.
- 30 CFR 780.13 — What Additional Maps and Plans Must I Include in the Reclamation Plan?
- 30 CFR 785.18 — Variances for Delay in Contemporaneous Reclamation Requirement in Combined Surface and Underground Mining Activities.
- 30 CFR 816.105 — What Special Provisions for Backfilling, Grading, and Surface Configuration Apply to Sites With Thick Overburden?