30 CFR 817.74 - What special requirements apply to disposal of excess spoil on a preexisting bench?
(2) The proposed operation will comply with the applicable requirements of § 817.102 of this part; and
(3) The requirements of this section are met.
(b)Requirements for removal and disposition of vegetation, other organic matter, and soil materials. You must remove all vegetation, other organic matter, topsoil, and subsoil from the disposal area prior to placement of the excess spoil and store, redistribute, or otherwise use those materials in accordance with § 817.22 of this part. You may use soil substitutes and supplements if approved in the permit in accordance with § 784.12(e) of this chapter.
(1) The fill must be designed and constructed using current, prudent engineering practices.
(2) The design must be certified by a registered professional engineer.
(3) If the disposal area contains springs, natural or manmade water courses, or wet weather seeps, the fill design must include underdrains and temporary diversions as necessary to control erosion, prevent water infiltration into the fill, and ensure stability. Underdrains must comply with the requirements of § 817.71(f)(3) of this part.
(1) The spoil must be placed on the solid portion of the bench in a controlled manner and concurrently compacted as necessary to attain a long-term static safety factor of 1.3 for all portions of the fill.
(e) You must grade the spoil placed on the preexisting bench to -
(1) Achieve a stable slope that does not exceed the angle of repose.
(3) Minimize erosion and water pollution both on and off the site.
(f) All disturbed areas, including diversion channels that are not riprapped or otherwise protected, must be revegetated upon completion of construction.
(h) The final configuration of the fill on the preexisting bench must -
(1) Be compatible with natural drainage patterns and the surrounding area.
(2) Support the approved postmining land use.
- 30 CFR 784.13 — What Additional Maps and Plans Must I Include in the Reclamation Plan?
- 30 CFR 817.102 — How Must I Backfill Surface Excavations and Grade and Configure the Land Surface?
- 30 CFR 785.16 — What Special Provisions Apply to Proposed Variances From Approximate Original Contour Restoration Requirements for Steep-Slope Mining?
- 30 CFR 942.817 — Performance Standards - Underground Mining Activities.
- 30 CFR 784.35 — What Information Must I Provide Concerning the Minimization and Disposal of Excess Spoil?