30 CFR 817.83 - What special requirements apply to coal mine waste refuse piles?
(b)Surface runoff and drainage control.
(1) If the disposal area contains springs, natural or manmade water courses, or wet weather seeps, you must design and construct the refuse pile with diversions and underdrains as necessary to control erosion, prevent water infiltration into the disposal facility, and ensure stability.
(3) You must direct runoff from areas above the refuse pile and runoff from the surface of the refuse pile into stabilized channels designed to meet the requirements of § 817.43 of this part and to safely pass the runoff from the 100-year, 6-hour precipitation event. You must use the appropriate regional Natural Resources Conservation Service synthetic storm distribution to determine the peak flow from surface runoff from this event.
(4) Runoff diverted from undisturbed areas need not be commingled with runoff from the surface of the refuse pile.
(5) Underdrains must comply with the requirements of § 817.71(f) of this part.
(c)Surface area stabilization. You must provide slope protection to minimize surface erosion at the site. You must revegetate all disturbed areas, including diversion channels that are not riprapped or otherwise protected, upon completion of construction.
(d)Final configuration and cover.
(1) The final configuration of the refuse pile must be suitable for the approved postmining land use. Terraces may be constructed on the outslope of the refuse pile if required for stability, erosion control, conservation of soil moisture, or facilitation of the approved postmining land use. The grade of the outslope between terrace benches may not be steeper than 2h:1v (50 percent).
(3) Following final grading of the refuse pile, you must cover the coal mine waste with a minimum of 4 feet of the best available, nontoxic, and noncombustible material in a manner that does not impede drainage from the underdrains. The regulatory authority may allow less than 4 feet of cover material based on physical and chemical analyses showing that the revegetation requirements of §§ 817.111 and 817.116 of this part will be met.
(e)Inspections. You must comply with the inspection and examination requirements of § 817.71(k) of this part.
- 30 CFR 817.102 — How Must I Backfill Surface Excavations and Grade and Configure the Land Surface?
- 30 CFR 817.81 — How Must I Dispose of Coal Mine Waste?
- 30 CFR 701.5 — Definitions.
- 30 CFR 817.71 — How Must I Dispose of Excess Spoil?
- 30 CFR 784.25 — What Information Must I Provide for Siltation Structures, Impoundments, and Refuse Piles?