31 CFR § 1010.370 - Reports of certain domestic transactions.
(1) If the Secretary of the Treasury finds, upon the Secretary's own initiative or at the request of an appropriate Federal or State law enforcement official, that reasonable grounds exist for concluding that additional recordkeeping and/or reporting requirements are necessary to carry out the purposes of this chapter or to prevent persons from evading the reporting/recordkeeping requirements of this chapter, the Secretary may issue an order requiring any domestic financial institution or group of domestic financial institutions, or any domestic nonfinancial trade or business or group of domestic nonfinancial trades or businesses, in a geographic area, and any other person participating in the type of transaction, to file a report in the manner and to the extent specified in such order. The order shall contain such information as the Secretary may describe concerning any transaction in which such financial institution or group of domestic financial institutions, or domestic nonfinancial trade or business or group of domestic nonfinancial trades or businesses is involved for the payment, receipt, or transfer of funds (as the Secretary may describe in such order) the total amounts or denominations of which are equal to or greater than an amount which the Secretary may prescribe.
(i) To request any financial institution or nonfinancial trade or business (other than a depository institution) which engages in any reportable transaction with the depository institution to provide the depository institution with a copy of any report filed by the financial institution or nonfinancial trade or business under the Title 31 provisions of the Bank Secrecy Act with respect to any prior transaction (between such financial institution or nonfinancial trade or business and any other person) which involved any portion of the funds which are involved in the reportable transaction with the depository institution; and
(ii) If no copy of any report described in paragraph (a)(2)(i) of this section is received by the depository institution in connection with any reportable transaction to which paragraph (a)(2)(i) applies, to submit (in addition to any report required under this subchapter with respect to the reportable transaction) a written notice to the Secretary that the financial institution or nonfinancial trade or business failed to provide any copy of such report.
(3) For purposes of paragraph (a)(2) of this section, the term reportable transaction means any transaction involving funds (as the Secretary may describe in the regulation or order) the total amounts or denominations of which are equal to or greater than an amount which the Secretary may prescribe.
(b) An order issued under paragraph (a) of this section shall be directed to the Chief Executive Officer of the financial institution or nonfinancial trade or business and shall designate one or more of the following categories of information to be reported: Each deposit, withdrawal, exchange of funds or other payment or transfer, by, through or to such financial institution specified in the order, which involves all or any class of transactions in funds equal to or exceeding an amount specified in the order.
(1) The dollar amount of transactions subject to the reporting requirement in the order;
(2) The type of transaction or transactions subject to or exempt from a reporting requirement in the order;
(3) The appropriate form for reporting the transactions required in the order;
(4) The address to which reports required in the order are to be sent or from which they will be picked up;
(5) The starting and ending dates by which such transactions specified in the order are to be reported;
(6) The name of a Treasury official to be contacted for any additional information or questions;
(7) The amount of time the reports and records of reports generated in response to the order will have to be retained by the financial institution; and
(8) Any other information deemed necessary to carry out the purposes of the order.
(1) No order issued pursuant to paragraph (a) of this section shall prescribe a reporting period of more than 180 days unless renewed pursuant to the requirements of paragraph (a).
(2) Any revisions to an order issued under this section will not be effective until made in writing by the Secretary.
(3) Unless otherwise specified in the order, a bank receiving an order under this section may continue to use the exemptions granted under § 1020.315 of this chapter prior to the receipt of the order, but may not grant additional exemptions.
(4) For purposes of this section, the term geographic area means any area in one or more States of the United States, the District of Columbia, the Commonwealth of Puerto Rico, the United States Virgin Islands, Guam, the Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands, American Samoa, the Trust Territory of the Pacific Islands, the territories and possessions of the United States, and/or political subdivision or subdivisions thereof, as specified in an order issued pursuant to paragraph (a) of this section.
(e) No financial institution or nonfinancial trade or business or officer, director, employee, or agent of a financial institution or nonfinancial trade or business subject to an order under this section may disclose the existence of, or terms of, the order to any person except as prescribed by the Secretary.
The following state regulations pages link to this page.