31 CFR 357.2 - Definitions.
In this part, unless the context indicates otherwise:
Adverse claim means a claim that a claimant has a property interest in a Security and that it is a violation of the rights of the claimant for another Person to hold, transfer, or deal with the Security.
Business day means any day other than a Saturday, Sunday, or other day on which the Federal Reserve Banks are not open for business.
Depository institution means an entity described in section 19(b)(1)(A)(i)-(vi) of the Federal Reserve Act (12 U.S.C. 461(b)(1)(A)(i)-(vi). Under section 19(b) of the Federal Reserve Act, the term depository institution includes:
(5) Any member as defined in 12 U.S.C. 1422; and
(6) Any savings association (as defined in 12 U.S.C. 1813) which is an insured depository institution, as defined in the Federal Deposit Insurance Act, 12 U.S.C. 1811, et seq., or is eligible to apply to become an insured depository institution under such Act.
Federal Reserve Bank or Reserve Bank means a Federal Reserve Bank or Branch.
Federal Reserve Bank Operating Circular means the publication issued by each Federal Reserve Bank that sets forth the terms and conditions under which the Reserve Bank maintains Book-entry Securities accounts and transfers Book-entry Securities.
Financial institution means, for purposes of direct deposit, an institution which has agreed to receive credit payments under 31 CFR part 210, as amended from time to time, and has not withdrawn its participation in a direct deposit program under part 210, or an institution which is willing to agree to receive credit payments under 31 CFR part 210 and has enrolled with its Federal Reserve Bank.
Funds account means a reserve and/or clearing account at a Federal Reserve Bank to which debits or credits are posted for transfers against payment, book-entry securities transaction fees, or principal and interest payments.
Issue means a group of securities, as defined in this section, that is identified by the same CUSIP (Committee on Uniform Securities Identification Practices) number.
Legacy Treasury Direct is the Legacy Treasury Direct Book-Entry Securities System.
Minor means an individual who is under the age of majority, as determined by applicable state law.
Original issue means Treasury's offering of a marketable Treasury security to the public and its issuance in book-entry form.
Owner, as used in subpart C, means the individual(s) or entity in whose name a security is registered. If a security is registered in more than one name, the term owner incudes all those whose names appear on the registration and are authorized by this part to make a transaction request on a security held in Legacy Treasury Direct.
Person means and includes an individual, corporation, company, governmental entity, association, firm, partnership, trust, estate, representative and any other similar organization, but does not mean or include the United States or a Federal Reserve Bank.
Representative includes an executor, administrator, legal guardian, committee, conservator, and any similar person or entity appointed by a court to represent the estate of a decedent, minor, or incompetent, as well as a trustee, whether appointed by a court or otherwise.
Revised Article 8 means Uniform Commercial Code, Revised Article 8, Investment Securities (with Conforming and Miscellaneous Amendments to Articles 1, 3, 4, 5, 9 and 10) 1994 Official Text. The Director of the Federal Register approves the incorporation by reference of Revised Article 8 of the Uniform Commercial Code in this part, pursuant to 5 U.S.C. 552(a) and 1 1 CFR part 51. Revised Article 8 was adopted by the American Law Institute and the National Conference of Commissioners On Uniform State Laws and approved by the American Bar Association on February 14, 1995. Copies of Revised Article 8 are available from the Executive Office of the American Law Institute, 4025 Chestnut Street, Philadelphia, PA 19104, and the National Conference of Commissioners on Uniform State Laws, 211 East Ontario Street, Suite 1300, Chicago, IL 60611. Copies are also available for public inspection at the Department of the Treasury Library, Room 1428, Main Treasury Building, 1500 Pennsylvania Avenue, NW, Washington, DC 20220 or at the National Archives and Records Administration (NARA). For information on the availability of this material at NARA, call 202-741-6030, or go to: http://www.archives.gov/federal_register/code_of_federal_regulations/ibr_locations.html.
Revised Article 9 means Uniform Commercial Code, Revised Article 9, Secured Transactions (with conforming amendments to Articles 1, 2, 2A, 4, 5, 6, 7, and 8), 1999 official text. The Director of the Federal Register approves the incorporation by reference of Revised Article 9 of the Uniform Commercial Code in this part, pursuant to 5 U.S.C. 552(a) and 1 1 CFR part 51. Revised Article 9 was approved by the American Law Institute and the National Conference of Commissioners On Uniform State Laws in 1998. Copies of Revised Article 9 are available from the Executive Office of the American Law Institute, 4025 Chestnut Street, Philadelphia, PA 19104, and the National Conference of Commissioners on Uniform State Laws, 211 East Ontario Street, Suite 1300, Chicago, IL 60611. Copies are also available for public inspection at the Department of the Treasury Library, Room 1428, Main Treasury Building, 1500 Pennsylvania Avenue, NW., Washington, DC 20220,or at the National Archives and Records Administration (NARA). For information on the availability of this material at NARA, call 202-741-6030, or go to: http://www.archives.gov/federal_register/code_of_federal_regulations/ibr_locations.html.
Securities Intermediary means:
(1) A Person that is registered as a “clearing agency” under the federal securities laws; a Federal Reserve Bank; any other person that provides clearance or settlement services with respect to a Book-entry Security that would require it to register as a clearing agency under the federal securities laws but for an exclusion or exemption from the registration requirement, if its activities as a clearing corporation, including promulgation of rules, are subject to regulation by a federal or state governmental authority; or
(2) A Person (other than an individual, unless such individual is registered as a broker or dealer under the federal securities laws) including a bank or broker, that in the ordinary course of its business maintains securities accounts for others and is acting in that capacity.
Security means a bill, note, or bond, each as defined in this section. It also means any other obligation issued by the Department that, by the terms of the applicable offering circular or announcement, is made subject to this part. Solely for purposes of this part, it also means:
(1) The interest and principal components of a security eligible for Separate Trading of Registered Interest and Principal of Securities (“STRIPS”), if such security has been divided into such components as authorized by the express terms of the offering circular under which the security was issued and the components are maintained separately on the books of one or more Federal Reserve Banks; and
(2) The interest coupons that have been converted to book-entry form under the Treasury's Coupons Under Book-Entry Safekeeping Program (“CUBES”), pursuant to agreement and the regulations in 31 CFR part 358.
Signature guarantee program means a signature guarantee program established in response to Rule 17 Ad-15 (17 CFR 240.17Ad-15), issued under authority of the Securities Exchange Act of 1934. For the purpose of the regulations in this part, the Securities Transfer Agents Medallion Program (STAMP), the Stock Exchanges Medallion Program (SEMP), and the New York Stock Exchange, Inc. Medallion Signature Program (MSP) are recognized by Treasury as such signature guarantee programs.
Taxpayer identifying number or TIN means a social security account number or an employer identification number, as appropriate.
TRADES is the Treasury/Reserve Automated Debt Entry System, also referred to as the commercial book-entry system.
Transaction request means a request to effect a change in an account master record or securities portfolio maintained in Legacy Treasury Direct.
Transaction request form means a form or series of forms prescribed for use by the Department to request a transaction in Legacy Treasury Direct. (This term includes a document that the Department has determined contains all of the elements required by the transaction request form.)
Transfer Message means an instruction of a Participant to a Federal Reserve Bank to effect a transfer of a Book-entry Security maintained in TRADES, as set forth in Federal Reserve Bank Operating Circulars.
- 12 CFR 615.5450 — Definitions.
- 12 CFR 615.5453 — Law Governing Other Interests.
- 12 CFR 615.5452 — Law Governing Rights and Obligations of Federal Reserve Banks, Farm Credit Banks, and Funding Corporation; Rights of Any Person Against Federal Reserve Banks, Farm Credit Banks, and Funding Corporation.
- 12 CFR 1249.10 — Definitions.
- 18 CFR 1314.2 — Definition of Terms.
- 24 CFR 350.2 — Definitions.
- 24 CFR 81.2 — Definitions.