31 CFR 535.301 - Iran; Iranian Entity.
(a) The term Iran and Iranian Entity includes:
(1) The state and the Government of Iran as well as any political subdivision, agency, or instrumentality thereof or any territory, dependency, colony, protectorate, mandate, dominion, possession or place subject to the jurisdiction thereof;
(2) Any partnership, association, corporation, or other organization substantially owned or controlled by any of the foregoing;
(3) Any person to the extent that such person is, or has been, or to the extent that there is reasonable cause to believe that such person is, or has been, since the effective date acting or purporting to act directly or indirectly on behalf of any of the foregoing;
(4) Any territory which on or since the effective date is controlled or occupied by the military, naval or police forces or other authority of Iran; and
(5) Any other person or organization determined by the Secretary of the Treasury to be included within paragraph (a) of this section.
(b) A person specified in paragraph (a)(2) of this section shall not be deemed to fall within the definition of Iran solely by reason of being located in, organized under the laws of, or having its principal place of business in, Iran.