31 CFR 538.505 - Provision of certain legal services to the Government of Sudan, persons in Sudan, or benefitting Sudan.
(a) The provision to the Government of Sudan, to a person in Sudan, or in circumstances in which the benefit is otherwise received in Sudan, of the legal services set forth in paragraph (b) of this section is authorized, provided that all receipts of payment therefor must be specifically licensed. The provision of any other legal services as interpreted in § 538.406 requires the issuance of a specific license.
(b) Specific licenses may be issued, on a case-by-case basis, authorizing receipt, from unblocked sources, of payment of professional fees and reimbursement of incurred expenses for the following legal services by U.S. persons to the Government of Sudan or to a person in Sudan:
(1) Provision of legal advice and counseling to the Government of Sudan, to a person in Sudan, or in circumstances in which the benefit is otherwise received in Sudan, on the requirements of and compliance with the laws of any jurisdiction within the United States, provided that such advice and counseling is not provided to facilitate transactions in violation of this part;
(2) Representation of the Government of Sudan or a person in Sudan when named as a defendant in or otherwise made a party to domestic U.S. legal, arbitration, or administrative proceedings;
(3) Initiation of domestic U.S. legal, arbitration, or administrative proceedings in defense of property interests subject to U.S. jurisdiction of the Government of Sudan, or of a person in Sudan;
(4) Representation of the Government of Sudan or a person in Sudan before any federal agency with respect to the imposition, administration, or enforcement of U.S. sanctions against Sudan; and
(5) Provision of legal services in any other context in which prevailing U.S. law requires access to legal counsel at public expense.
(c) Enforcement of any lien, judgment, arbitral award, decree, or other order through execution, garnishment or other judicial process purporting to transfer or otherwise alter or affect a property interest of the Government of Sudan is prohibited unless specifically licensed in accordance with § 538.202(e).