32 CFR 100.6 - Definitions.
(b)Selected Reserve. Members of the Ready Reserve in training/pay categories A, B, C, F, M and P. These reservists are either members of units who participate regularly in drills and annual active duty for training, in annual field training in the case of the National Guard, or are on initial active duty for training; or they are individuals who participate in regular drills and annual active duty on the same basis as members of Reserve component units. Excluded from the Selected Reserve are Reserve component members who are:
(1) Participating in annual active duty for training and not paid for attendance at regular drills (pay categories D and E), or awaiting, in a nonpay status, their initial active duty for training (pay category L).
(2) Enrolled in officer training program (pay category J) members of the Individual Ready Reserve pool (pay category H), and reservists on extended active duty. (See 10 U.S.C. 268(b) 32 32 CFR part 102.)
(3) Members of the Inactive Army National Guard.
(c)Individual Ready Reserve (IRR). Members of the Ready Reserve not assigned to the Selected Reserve and not on active duty.
(d)Unsatisfactory participation. A member of the Ready Reserve who fails to fulfill his/her obligation or agreement as a member of a unit of the Ready Reserve described in 10 U.S.C. 268(b), 270, 510, 511, 593, 597, 651, 652, 672, 673, 673a, 673b, 685, and 1163. Or a member who fails to meet the standards as prescribed by the Military Departments concerned for attendance at training drills, attendance at active duty for training, training advancement, or performance of duty.
(e)Reasonable commuting distance. The maximum distance a member of a Reserve component may travel involuntarily between residence and drill training site, in accordance with § 100.5(b)(1). This distance may be within:
(1) A 100-mile radius of the drill site that does not exceed a distance that can be traveled by automobile under average conditions of traffic, weather, and roads within 3 hours. This applies only to those units that normally conduct four drills on 2 consecutive days during the training year, if Government meals and quarters are provided at the base where the unit drills. (The provisions of this paragraph shall apply only to those individuals enlisting, reenlisting, or extending their enlistments after November 1, 1972.)
(2) A 50-mile radius of the drill site that does not exceed a distance that can be traveled by automobile under average conditions of traffic, weather, and roads within a period of 1 1/2 hours.
(f)Standard-year. Personnel authorizations that describe the amount of work expected of one individual during a calendar or fiscal year.
(g)Tentative characterization of service. An interim description of the quality of performance during a period which is less than the time required to earn an administrative discharge. The quality of performance shall be described as honorable, under honorable conditions, or under other than honorable conditions. If the quality is described as under honorable conditions a General Discharge certificate shall be provided upon discharge. If the quality is described as under other than honorable conditions a Discharge Under Other Than Honorable Conditions certificate shall be provided upon discharge.