32 CFR 1656.16 - Early release
(a) General Rule of Service Completion. An ASW will not be released from alternative service prior to completion of 24 months of creditable service unless granted an early release.
(b) Reasons For Early Release. The Director may authorize the early release of an ASW whenever the ASO determines that the ASW:
(1) Has failed to meet the performance standards of available alternative service employment because of physical, mental or moral reasons;
(2) No longer meets the physical, mental or moral standards that are required for retention in the Armed Forces based on a physical or mental examination at a MEPS or other location designated by Selective Service;
(3) Is planning to return to school and has been accepted by such school and scheduled to enter within 30 days prior to the scheduled completion of his alternative service obligation;
(4) Has been accepted for employment and that such employment will not be available if he remains in alternative service the full 24 months. Such early release shall not occur more than 30 days before the scheduled completion of his alternative service obligation; or
(5) Has enlisted in or has been inducted into the Armed Forces of the United States.
(c) Reclassification and Records. Upon granting an early release to an ASW, the Director will reclassify the ASW and transfer his records in accordance with § 1656.19 of this part.