32 CFR 179.2 - Applicability and scope.
(a) This part applies to the Office of the Secretary of Defense, the Military Departments, the Defense Agencies and the Department Field Activities, and any other Department organizational entity or instrumentality established to perform a government function (hereafter referred to collectively as the “Components”).
(b) The rule in this part shall be applied at all locations:
(1) That are, or were, owned by, leased to, or otherwise possessed or used by the Department, and
(2) That are known to, or suspected of, containing unexploded ordnance (UXO), discarded military munitions (DMM), or munitions constituents (MC), and
(3) That are included in the inventory established pursuant to 10 U.S.C. 2710(a).
(c) The rule in this part shall not be applied at the locations not included in the inventory required under 10 U.S.C. 2710(a). The locations not included in the inventory are:
(1) Locations that are not, or were not, owned by, leased to, or otherwise possessed or used by the Department,
(2) Locations neither known to contain, or suspected of containing, UXO, DMM, or MC,
(3) Locations outside the United States,
(4) Locations where the presence of military munitions results from combat operations,
(5) Currently operating military munitions storage and manufacturing facilities,
(6) Locations that are used for, or were permitted for, the treatment or disposal of military munitions, and
(7) Operational ranges.