32 CFR 182.2 - Applicability and scope.
(a) Applies to the Office of the Secretary of Defense (OSD), the Military Departments, the Office of the Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff and the Joint Staff, the Combatant Commands, the Defense Agencies, the DoD Field Activities, and all other organizational entities within the Department of Defense (hereafter referred to collectively as the “DoD Components”).
(b) Applies to the Office of the Inspector General of the Department of Defense (IG, DoD) only to the extent that this part does not conflict with any of the duties and responsibilities assigned to the IG, DoD pursuant to section 8(g) of Appendix, title 5, U.S.C. (also known as “The Inspector General Act of 1978, as amended”).
(c) Governs all DoD Component planning for and participation in Defense support of civilian law enforcement activities, including domestic emergencies and civil disturbance operations (CDO) (formerly referred to as “military assistance for civil disturbances”).
(d) Applies to National Guard (NG) personnel only in title 10, U.S.C., status only.
(e) Applies to civilian employees of the DoD Components and the activities of DoD contractors performed in support of the DoD Components.
(f) Does not apply to:
(1) Counternarcotics activities.
(2) Assistance to foreign law enforcement officials.
(3) The Defense Intelligence and Counterintelligence Components, except when providing assistance to civilian law enforcement activities in accordance with paragraph 2.6. of Executive Order 12333 and Procedure 12 of DoD 5240.1-R. 1
1 Available at http://www.dtic.mil/whs/directives/corres/pdf/524001r.pdf.
(4) Requests for sensitive support, which are governed by DoD Directive S-5210.36. 2
2 Authorized users may obtain a copy at www.dtic.smil.mil/whs/directives. Others may send a written request by email to USDI.Pubs@osd.mil.
(5) NG personnel in State active duty or title 32, U.S.C., status.
(6) Maritime Homeland Security Operations, defined as time-critical requests by the United States Coast Guard for short duration (less than 48 hours) DoD support in countering an immediate maritime security threat, that are governed by the DoD-Department of Homeland Security Memorandum of Agreement for Department of Defense Support to the United States Coast Guard for Maritime Homeland Security.
(7) Aircraft piracy operations conducted pursuant to title 10, U.S.C.