32 CFR 183.4 - Policy.
It is DoD policy that:
(a) DoD capabilities may be used to provide support for international and domestic special events as authorized by law and DoD policy. DoD resources in support of special events may be provided only after the resources of all other relevant governmental and non-governmental entities are determined not to be available, unless there is a statutory exception or the Department of Defense is the only source of specialized capabilities. DoD support should not be provided if use of commercial enterprises would be more appropriate.
(b) DoD Components shall provide support to civil authorities or qualifying entities for special events only as authorized in this part.
(c) The Department of Defense may support such events with personnel, equipment, and services in accordance with applicable laws, regulations, and interagency agreements. Most support shall be provided on a non-interference basis, with careful consideration given to effects on readiness and current operations. Support for National Special Security Events (NSSEs) shall be in accordance with National Security Presidential Directive-46/Homeland Security Presidential Directive-15, Annex II.
(d) DoD security and safety-related support for an event shall have priority over logistics assistance. However, logistics assistance may be provided if deemed appropriate and necessary, consistent with applicable statutes and policy guidance.
(e) Funding for special events is subject to the following:
(1) The Department of Defense may receive separate funding or authority to provide support to specific special events.
(2) Support of special events for which the Department of Defense does not receive appropriations or for which DoD funds are not available for such support must be approved by the Secretary of Defense and must be provided on a reimbursable basis in accordance with title 10, U.S.C., sections 377, 2553-2555, and 2564; title 31, U.S.C., sections 1535-1536; or other applicable statutes.
(3) Reimbursement for DoD support provided to civilian law enforcement agencies during special events is required, in accordance with title 10 U.S.C. 377, unless the Secretary of Defense elects to waive reimbursement after determining that the support:
(i) Is provided in the normal course of military training or operations; or
(ii) Results in a benefit to the personnel providing the support that is substantially equivalent to that which would otherwise be obtained from military operations or training.
(4) The DoD will provide support to NSSEs in accordance with HSPD 15/NSPD 46, as authorized by law and policy.
(5) Security and safety of special events are responsibilities shared by Federal, State, and local authorities. If Federal funds will be provided to State or local authorities to offset the costs of enhanced security and public safety for special events and if State or local officials request the employment of National Guard personnel in a Federal pay status, States shall be encouraged to use those funds to employ those National Guard personnel in a State pay status or to reimburse the Department of Defense for costs related to the employment of the National Guard personnel in a Federal pay status.
(f) DoD support of special events that includes support to civilian law enforcement officials must comply with DoDD 5525.5 (see http://www.dtic.mil/whs/directives/corres/pdf/552505p.pdf).
(g) DoD support of special events that includes support to civilian intelligence officials must comply with DoD 5240.1-R (see http://www.dtic.mil/whs/directives/corres/pdf/524001r.pdf).