32 CFR 240.3 - Definitions.
The following definitions are used in this part:
CAE/IAE. An institution of higher education that has met established criteria for IA education and has been jointly designated by the Department of Homeland Security and the NSA as a national center of excellence.
CAE-R. An institution of higher education which has met established criteria for IA research and has been jointly designated by the Department of Homeland Security and the NSA as a national center of excellence.
IA. For the purpose of this part, the term “IA” includes computer security, network security, cybersecurity, cyber operations, and other relevant IT related to information assurance pursuant to 10 U.S.C. 2200e.
IT. For the purpose of this part, the term “IT” refers to any equipment or interconnected system or subsystem of equipment that is used in the automatic acquisition, storage, manipulation, management, movement, control, display, switching, interchange, transmission, or reception of data or information. “IT” includes computers, ancillary equipment, software, firmware, and similar procedures, services (including support services), and related resources.
Institution of Higher Education. For the purpose of this part and as defined in 20 U.S.C. 1001, an “institution of higher education” refers to an educational institution in any state that:
(1) Admits as regular students only individuals who possess a certificate of graduation from a school providing secondary education, or the recognized equivalent of such a certificate;
(2) Is legally authorized to provide a program of education beyond secondary education;
(3) Provides an educational program that awards bachelor's degrees, or provides no less than a 2-year program that is acceptable for full credit toward a degree;
(4) Is a public or other nonprofit institution; and
(5) Is accredited by a nationally recognized accrediting agency or association, or if not so accredited, is an institution that has been granted preaccreditation status by such an agency or association that has been recognized by the Secretary of Education for the granting of preaccreditation status, and the Secretary has determined that there is satisfactory assurance that the institution will meet the accreditation standards of such an agency or association within a reasonable time.
Partner University. A CAE that has joined in academic partnership with the NDU IRMC to award master's and doctoral degrees through the DoD IASP.
Principal Investigator. The primary point of contact at each CAE, responsible for publicizing the DoD IASP to potential recruitment students and working with students during the application process. Principal investigators also serve as the primary contact for recruitment students and retention students who have transferred from the IRMC to a partner university.
Recruitment Program. The portion of the DoD IASP available to qualified non-DoD students currently enrolled or accepted for enrollment at a designated CAE.
Retention Program. The portion of the DoD IASP available to full-time, active duty Service personnel and permanent civilian employees of the DoD Components.
Retention Students. Full-time active duty Service personnel and permanent civilian employees of the DoD Components who are active participants in the DoD IASP retention program.