32 CFR 242a.2 - Definitions.
(a) Board or Board of Regents means the collegial body that conducts the business of the Uniformed Services University of the Health Sciences as specified in Title 10, U.S. Code 2113, consisting of:
(1) Nine persons outstanding in the fields of health and health education appointed from civilian life by the President, by and with the advice and consent of the Senate;
(2) The Secretary of Defense, or his designee, an ex officio member;
(3) The surgeons general of the uniformed services, ex officio members; and
(4) The Dean (President) of the University, an ex officio non-voting member.
(b) Board Representative means the individual named as Executive Secretary by the Board, or any person officially designated by the Board.
(c) Chairman means the presiding officer of the Board, designated by the President, as specified in Title 10, U.S. Code 2113.
(d) Committee means any formally designated subdivision of the Board, consisting of as least two Board members, authorized to act on behalf of the Board, including, the Board's standing committees (the Executive, Administrative Affairs, Educational Affairs, Fine Arts and Gifts, and Nominating Committees) and any ad hoc committees appointed by the Board for special purposes.
(e) Meeting means the deliberations of at least a majority of all Regents in being or for committees, the deliberations of at least the number of individual voting members of the Board required to take action on behalf of the Board, where such deliberations determine or result in the joint conduct or disposition of official business of the Board, but does not include:
(1) Deliberations to open or close a meeting, or to release or withhold information, required or permitted by § 242a.5 or § 242a.6;
(2) Notation voting or similar consideration of matters whether by circulation of material to members individually in writing, or polling of members individually by telephone or telegram; and
(3) Instances where individual members, authorized to conduct business on behalf of the Board or to take action on behalf of the Board, meet with members of the public or staff. Conference telephone calls that involve the requisite number of members, and otherwise come within the definition, are included.
(f) Member means a member of the Board of Regents.
(g) Public Announcement means posting notices on the Board's public notice bulletin board, and mailing announcements to persons on a mailing list maintained for those who desire to receive notices of Board meetings, and who pay such fee as may be determined by the Executive Secretary, not to exceed $10.00 per year, to cover the costs involved in such distribution.
(h) Staff includes the employees of the USUHS, other than the members of the Board.