32 CFR 275.3 - Definitions.
(a)Administrative Summons or Subpoena. A statutory writ issued by a Government Authority.
(b)Customer. Any person or authorized representative of that person who used or is using any service of a financial institution or for whom a financial institution is acting or has acted as fiduciary for an account maintained in the name of that person.
(c)Financial Institution (for intelligence activity purposes only.
(1) An insured bank (includes a foreign bank having an insured branch) whose deposits are insured under the Federal Deposit Insurance Act.
(2) A commercial bank or trust company.
(3) A private banker.
(4) An agency or branch of a foreign bank in the United States.
(5) Any credit union.
(6) A thrift institution.
(7) A broker or dealer registered with the Securities and Exchange Commission.
(8) A broker or dealer in securities or commodities.
(9) An investment banker or investment company.
(10) A currency exchange.
(11) An issuer, redeemer, or cashier of travelers' checks, checks, money orders, or similar instruments.
(12) An operator of a credit card system.
(13) An insurance company.
(14) A dealer in precious metals, stones, or jewels.
(15) A pawnbroker.
(16) A loan or finance company.
(17) A travel agency.
(18) A licensed sender of money or any other person who engages as a business in the transmission of funds, including any person who engages as a business in an informal money transfer system or any network of people who engage as a business in facilitating the transfer of money domestically or internationally outside of the conventional financial institutions system.
(19) A telegraph company.
(20) A business engaged in vehicle sales, including automobile, airplane, and boat sales.
(21) Persons involved in real estate closings and settlements.
(22) The United States Postal Service.
(23) An agency of the United States Government or of a State or local government performing a duty or power of a business described in this definition.
(24) A casino, gambling casino, or gaming establishment with an annual gaming revenue of more than $1,000,000 which is licensed as a casino, gambling casino, or gaming establishment under the laws of a State or locality or is an Indian gaming operation conducted pursuant to, and as authorized by, the Indian Gaming Regulatory Act.
(25) Any business or agency that engages in any activity which the Secretary of the Treasury, by regulation determines to be an activity in which any business described in this definition is authorized to engage; or any other business designated by the Secretary of the Treasury whose cash transactions have a high degree of usefulness in criminal, tax, or regulatory matters.
(26) Any futures commission merchant, commodity trading advisor, or commodity pool operator registered, or required to register, under the Commodity Exchange Act that is located inside any State or territory of the United States, the District of Columbia, Puerto Rico, Guam, American Samoa, the Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands, or the United States Virgin Islands.
(d)Financial Institution (other than for intelligence activity purposes). Any office of a bank, savings bank, credit card issuer, industrial loan company, trust company, savings association, building and loan, or homestead association (including cooperative banks), credit union, or consumer finance institution that is located in any state or territory of the United States, or in the District of Columbia, Puerto Rico, Guam, American Samoa, or the Virgin Islands.
(e)Financial Record. An original, its copy, or information known to have been derived from the original record held by a financial institution that pertains to a customer's relationship with the financial institution.
(f)Government Authority. Any agency or Department of the United States, or any officer, employee, or agent thereof, to include DoD law enforcement offices, personnel security elements, and/or intelligence organizations.
(g)Intelligence Activities. The collection, production, and dissemination of foreign intelligence and counterintelligence, to include investigation or analyses related to international terrorism, by DoD intelligence organizations.
(h)Intelligence Organizations. Any element of a DoD Component authorized by the Secretary of Defense to conduct intelligence activities.
(i)Law Enforcement Inquiry. A lawful investigation or official proceeding that inquires into a violation of or failure to comply with a criminal or civil statute, or any rule, regulation, or order issued pursuant thereto.
(j)Law Enforcement Office. Any element of a DoD Component authorized by the Head of the DoD Component conducting law enforcement inquiries.
(k)Person. An individual or a partnership consisting of five or fewer individuals.
(l)Personnel Security Element. Any element of a DoD Component authorized by the Secretary of Defense conducting personnel security investigations.
(m)Personnel Security Investigation. An investigation required for determining a person's eligibility for access to classified information, acceptance or retention in the Armed Forces, assignment or retention in sensitive duties, or other designated duties requiring such investigation. Personnel security investigations include investigations conducted for the purpose of making personnel security determinations. They also include investigations of allegations that may arise subsequent to favorable adjudicative action and require resolution to determine a person's current eligibility for access to classified information or assignment or retention in a sensitive position.