32 CFR 292.3 - Basic policy.
(a) Upon receipt of a written request, the DIA will release to the public, records concerning its operations and activities which are rightfully public information. Generally, information, other than that exempt in § 292.6, will be provided to the public. The following policy will be followed in the conduct of this program.
(1) The provisions of the FOIA, as implemented by 32 CFR part 286 and this part, will be supported in both letter and spirit.
(2) Requested records will be withheld only when a significant and legitimate governmental purpose is served by withholding them. Records which require protection against unauthorized release in the interest of the national defense or foreign relations of the United States will not be provided.
(3) Official requests from Members of Congress, acting in their official capacity, will be governed by DoD Directive 5400.4, 1 (see DoD 5400.7-R, 2 paragraph 5-103); from the General Accounting Office by DoD Directive 7650.1; 3 and from private parties, and officials of state or local governments by DoD 5400.7-R, paragraphs 5-101 and 102.
1 Copies may be obtained at cost, from the National Technical Information Service, 5285 Port Royal Road, Springfield, VA 22161.
2 See footnote 1 to § 292.3(a)(3).
3 See footnote 1 to § 292.3(a)(3).
(4) Records will not be withheld solely because their release might result in criticism of the Department of Defense or this Agency.
(5) The applicability of the FOIA depends on the existence of an “identifiable record” (5 U.S.C. 552(a)(3)). Accordingly, if the DIA has no record containing information requested by a member of the public, it is under no obligation to compile information to create or obtain such a record.
(6) The mission of the DIA does not encompass regulatory or decision-making matters in the sense of a public use agency; therefore, extensive reading room material for the general public is not available.
(7) Pursuant to 5 U.S.C. 552 (a)(4)(A) fees may apply with regard to services rendered the public under the Freedom of Information Act (See appendix A to this part). With regard to fees, the specific guidance of DoD, as set forth in DoD 5400.7-R will be followed.
Title 32 published on 2014-07-01.
No entries appear in the Federal Register after this date, for 32 CFR Part 292.