32 CFR 321.3 - Information and procedures for requesting notification.
(a) General. Any individual may request and receive notification of whether he is the subject of a record in any system of records maintained by DSS using the information and procedures described in this section.
(1) Paragraphs (b) and (c) of this section give information that will assist an individual in determining in what systems of DSS records (if any) he may be the subject. This information is presented as a convenience to the individual in that he may avoid consulting the lengthy systems notices elsewhere in the Federal Register.
(2) Paragraph (d) of this section details the procedure an individual should use to contact DSS and request notification. It will be helpful if the individual states what his connection with DSS has or may have been, and about what record system(s) he is inquiring. Such information is not required, but its absence may cause some delay.
(b) DSS Records Systems. A list of DSS records systems is available by contacting Defense Security Service, Office of FOI and Privacy, 1340 Braddock Place, Alexandria, VA, 22314-1551.
(1) Any person who is the subject or co-subject of an ongoing or completed investigation by DSS should have an investigative case file/record in system V5-01, if the record meets retention criteria. An index to such files should be in V5-02.
(2) If an individual has ever made a formal request to DSS under the Freedom of Information Act or the Privacy Act of 1974, a record pertaining to that request under the name of the requester, or subject matter, will be in system V1-01.
(3) Persons of Counterintelligence interest who have solicited from industrial contractors/DoD installations information which may appear to be sensitive in nature may have a record in system V5-04.
(4) Individuals who have been applicants for employment with DSS, or nominees for assignment to DSS, but who have not completed their DSS affiliation, may be subjects in systems V4-04, V5-01, V5-02, V5-03, or V6-01.
(5) Any individual who is a subject, victim or cross-referenced personally in an investigation by an investigative element of any DoD component, may be referenced in the Defense Clearance and Investigations Index, system V5-02, in an index to the location, file number, and custodian of the case record.
(6) Individuals who have ever presented a complaint to or have been connected with a DSS Inspector General inquiry may be subjects of records in system V2-01.
(7) If an individual has ever attended the Defense Industrial Security Institute or completed training with the DSS Training Office he should be subject of a record in V7-01.
(8) If an individual has ever been a guest speaker or instructor at the Defense Industrial Security Institute, he should be the subject of a record in V7-01.
(9) If an individual is an employee or major stockholder of a government contractor or other DoD-affiliated company or agency and has been issued, now possesses or has been processed for a security clearance, he may be subject to a record in V5-03.
(d) Procedures. The following procedures should be followed to determine if an individual is a subject of records maintained by DSS, and to request notification and access.
(1) Individuals should submit inquiries in person or by mail to the Defense Security Service, Office of FOI and Privacy, 1340 Braddock Place, Alexandria, VA 22314-1651. Inquiries by personal appearance should be made Monday through Friday from 8:30 to 11:30 a.m. and 1:00 to 4:00 p.m. The information requested in Sec. 321.4 must be provided if records are to be accurately identified. Telephonic requests for records will not be honored. In a case where the system of records is not specified in the request, only systems that would reasonably contain records of the individual will be checked, as described in paragraph (b) of this section.
(2) Only the Director or Chief, Office of FOI and Privacy may authorize exemptions to notification of individuals in accordance with § 321.13.
Title 32 published on 2014-07-01.
No entries appear in the Federal Register after this date, for 32 CFR Part 321.