32 CFR 64.4 - Policy.
(a) It is DoD policy that military retirees be ordered to active duty as needed to perform such duties as the Secretary concerned considers necessary in the interests of national defense as described in 10 U.S.C. 12301 and 688.
(b) The DoD Components and the Commandant of the U.S. Coast Guard shall plan to use as many retirees as necessary to meet national security needs.
(c) The military retirees ordered to active duty may be used according to guidance prescribed by the Secretary concerned as follows:
(1) To fill shortages or to augment deployed or deploying units and activities or units in the Continental United States, Alaska, and Hawaii supporting deployed units.
(2) To release other military members for deployment overseas.
(3) Subject to the limitations of 10 U.S.C. 973, Federal civilian workforce shortages in the Department of Defense, the U.S. Coast Guard, or other Government entities.
(4) To meet national security needs in organizations outside the Department of Defense with Defense-related missions, if the detail outside the Department of Defense is approved according to DoD Directive 1000.17. 2
2 See § 64.3(b).
(5) To perform other duties that the Secretary concerned considers necessary in the interests of national defense.
(d) Military retirees shall be ordered to active duty with full pay and allowances. They may not be used to fill mobilization billets in a non-pay status.
(e) Military retirees serving on active duty may be reassigned to meet the needs of the Military Service.