32 CFR 64.5 - Responsibilities.
(a) The Assistant Secretary of Defense for Reserve Affairs and the Deputy Under Secretary of Defense (Military Personnel Policy) (DUSD(MMP)), under the Under Secretary of Defense for Personnel and Readiness, shall provide policy guidance for the management and mobilization of DoD military retirees.
(b) The Secretaries of the Military Departments and the Commandant of the U.S. Coast Guard shall ensure plans for the management and mobilization of military retirees are consistent with this rule.
(c) The Directors of the Defense Agencies, the Secretary of Homeland Security, the Director of the Selective Service System, and Heads of Federal Agencies, shall, by agreement, assist in identifying military and Federal civilian wartime positions that are suitable to be filled by military retirees. They shall also process those requirements according to Departmental policy, including any appropriate coordination under Department of Defense Directive 1000.17, 3 before the positions are filled by the Military Services. The Secretary of the Military Department shall retain the right to disapprove the request if no military retiree is available.
3 See § 64.3(b).
(d) The Secretaries of the Military Departments, or designees, shall:
(1) Prepare plans and establish procedures for mobilization of military retirees according to this rule.
(2) Determine the extent of military retiree mobilization requirements based on existing inventories and inventory projections for mobilization of qualified Reservists in an active status in the Ready Reserve, including Individual Ready Reserve and the Inactive National Guard (when placed in an active status), or the Standby Reserve.
(3) Develop procedures for identifying retiree Categories I and II and conduct screening of retirees according to Department of Defense Directive 1200.7. 4
4 See § 64.3(b).
(4) Maintain necessary records on military retirees and their military qualifications. Maintain records for military retiree Categories I and II, including retirees who are key employees, and their availability for mobilization, civilian employment, and physical condition. Data shall be
(5) Advise military retirees of their duty to provide the Military Services with accurate mailing addresses and any changes in civilian employment, military qualifications, availability for service, and physical condition.
(6) Pre-assign retired members, when determined appropriate and as necessary.
(7) Determine refresher training requirements.