32 CFR 77.6 - Procedures.
prev | next
(a) Military personnel offices shall advise Service members desiring to apply for early retirement that they shall register, normally, within 90 days of their retirement date, for public and community service (PACS) employment, and refer them to a Transition Assistance Program Counselor for registration.
(b) Personnel offices shall advise separating Service members, DoD civilian personnel leaving the Government, and their spouses to contact a Transition Assistance Program Counselor about PACS employment and registration.
(c) Transition Assistance Program Counselors shall counsel separating Service members (during preseparation counseling established by DoD Instruction 1332.36 2), DoD civilian personnel leaving the Government, and their spouses on PACS employment. Counselors shall update into the Defense Outplacement Referral System (DORS) database Service members requesting early retirement and other DoD personnel or spouses who request registration. Transition Assistance Program Counselors shall use DD Form 2580 (Appendix A to this part) to register personnel for PACS employment. In addition, Counselors shall ensure that Service members who are requesting early retirement are advised that:
2 See footnote 1 to section 77.4(b)(2).
(1) Registering for PACS employment is a requirement for consummation of their early retirement under Pub. L. 102-484, Section 4403 or Pub. L. 103-160, Section 561.
(2) Early retirees must provide a copy of their confirmation DORS mini-resume to their servicing military personnel office for filing in their Service record before their final retirement processing.
(4) Working in a DoD-approved Federal public service organization may subject him or her to dual compensation restrictions of 5 U.S.C. 5532.
(5) DoD-approved PACS employment qualifies the Service member who is retired under Pub. L. 102-484, Section 4403 or Pub. L. 103-160, Section 561 for increased retired pay effective on the first day of the first month beginning after the date on which the member or former member attains 62 years of age. The former Service member must have worked in DoD-approved PACS employment between the date of early retirement and the date in which he or she would have attained 20 years of creditable service for computing retired pay, and have retired on or after October 23, 1992 and before October 1, 1999.
(6) It is the early retiree's responsibility to ensure that the DMDC is advised when the early retiree's PACS employment starts, and of any subsequent changes.
(d) Military personnel offices shall ensure a copy of the confirmation DORS mini-resume is filed in the permanent document section of the Service record of Service members who retire early.
(e) DMDC shall maintain the PACS Personnel Registry, which includes information on the particular job skills, qualifications, and experience of registered personnel.
(f) DMDC shall maintain the PACS Organizational Registry, which includes information regarding each organization, including its location, size, types of public or community service positions in the organization, points of contact, procedures for applying for such positions, and a description of each position that is likely to be available.
(g) PACS Organizations shall use DD Form 2581 (Appendix B to this part) and DD Form 2581-1 (Appendix C to this part) to request registration on the PACS Organizational Registry. Instructions on how to complete the forms and where to send them are on the forms.
(h) DMDC shall register those organizations meeting the definition of a PACS organization and include them on the PACS Organizational Registry. For organizations that do not appear to meet the criteria, DMDC shall refer the request to the Transition Support and Services Directorate, Office of the Assistant Secretary of Defense for Personnel and Readiness. The Transition Support and Services Directorate may consult individually on an ad hoc basis with appropriate agencies to determine whether or not the organization meets the validation criteria. For organizations which are denied approval as a creditable early retirement organization and which request reconsideration, the Transition Support and Services Directorate will forward that request to the next higher level for a final determination. DMDC shall advise organizations of their status.
Title 32 published on 2014-07-01.
No entries appear in the Federal Register after this date, for 32 CFR Part 77.