32 CFR 887.4 - Requesting CILs.

§ 887.4 Requesting CILs.

(a) Standard Form 180 (SF 180), Request Pertaining to Military Records, should be used by persons who had service as shown in § 887.3(a). However, a letter request, with sufficient identifying data and proof that the original certificate of separation was lost or destroyed, may be used. Members on active duty will forward their applications through their unit commander.

(b) SF 180, or any similar form used by agencies outside the Department of Defense, will be used by persons shown in § 887.3(b), (c), and § 887.7.


Persons authorized CILs may be assisted in their request by the Customer Service Unit (DPMAC) in the consolidated base personnel office.

This is a list of United States Code sections, Statutes at Large, Public Laws, and Presidential Documents, which provide rulemaking authority for this CFR Part.

This list is taken from the Parallel Table of Authorities and Rules provided by GPO [Government Printing Office].

It is not guaranteed to be accurate or up-to-date, though we do refresh the database weekly. More limitations on accuracy are described at the GPO site.

United States Code
U.S. Code: Title 10 - ARMED FORCES