§ 173.55 Report of casualty or accident.
(a) The operator of a vessel shall submit the casualty or accident report prescribed in § 173.57 to the reporting authority prescribed in § 173.59 when, as a result of an occurrence that involves the vessel or its equipment:
(1) A person dies;
(2) A person is injured and requires medical treatment beyond first aid;
(3) Damage to vessels and other property totals $2,000 or more or there is a complete loss of any vessel;
(4) A person disappears from the vessel under circumstances that indicate death or injury.
(b) A report required by this section must be made:
(1) Within 48 hours of the occurrence if a person dies within 24 hours of the occurrence;
(2) Within 48 hours of the occurrence if a person is injured and requires medical treatment beyond first aid, or disappears from a vessel; and
(3) Within 10 days of the occurrence or death if an earlier report is not required by this paragraph.
(c) When the operator of a vessel cannot submit the casualty or accident report required by paragraph (a) of this section, the owner shall submit the casualty or accident report.
[CGD 72-54R, 37 FR 21399
, Oct. 7, 1972, as amended by CGD 76-155, 44 FR 5308
, Jan. 25, 1979; CGD 82-015, 54 FR 5610
, Feb. 6, 1989; USCG-1999-6094, 66 FR 21675
, May 1, 2001; 66 FR 33845
, June 26, 2001; USCG-1999-6094, 67 FR 14645
, Mar. 27, 2002]