33 CFR § 183.25 - Display of markings.
(a) Each marking required by § 183.23 must be permanently displayed in a legible manner where it is clearly visible to the operator when getting the boat underway.
(b) The information required by § 183.23 must be displayed in the following manner:
(1) For outboard boats:
(2) For inboard boats and inboard-outboard boats:
(3) For boats rated for motors of 2 horsepower or less:
(4) For boats rated for manual propulsion:
(c) The capacity information displays required in paragraph (b) must meet the following as illustrated in Figure 183.25:
(1) The capacity information required in § 183.23 must be displayed within a yellow area that -
(i) Is at least 4 inches wide; and
(ii) Is high enough that each line of print is separated by at least 1/8 inch from each other and from the borders of the yellow area;
(2) The persons capacity in whole numbers must be black print with the following dimensions:
(i) The height must not be smaller than one-half inch;
(ii) The width of the numbers must be three-fifths of the height except for the number “4”, which shall be one stroke width wider, and the number “1”, which shall be one stroke in width;
(iii) The stroke width shall be one-sixth of the height; and
(iv) The minimum space between the numbers shall be one stroke width.
(3) The words in the line “XX Persons or XXX Pounds” must be at least one-quarter inch in height but not larger than one-half the height of the persons capacity number and of a color contrasting with yellow. The number of pounds in this line must be at least one-eighth inch in height but no larger than one-half the height of the persons capacity number and of a color contrasting with yellow.
(4) All remaining words and numbers required to be within the yellow area required in paragraph (c)(1) must be at least one-eighth inch in height, but no larger than one-half the height of the persons capacity number.
(5) All other words and numbers on the displays must be located outside the yellow area on a background color which contrasts with yellow.
(6) The words “Maximum Capacities” must be at least one-quarter inch in height and of color contrasting with its background.
(7) The words “U.S. Coast Guard” must be at least one-eighth inch in height and of color contrasting with its background.