§ 334.78Rhode Island Sound, Atlantic Ocean, approximately 4.0 nautical miles due south of Lands End in Newport, R. I.; restricted area for naval practice minefield.
(a)The area. The open waters of Rhode Island Sound approximately 4.0 nautical miles due south of Lands End, Newport, Rhode Island, within an area bounded as follows: Beginning at latitude 41°20′29″ N., longitude 71°19′54″ W.; thence 2000 yards easterly to latitude 41°20′29″ N., longitude 71°18′34″ W.; thence 3000 yards southerly to latitude 41°18′57″ N., longitude 71°18′34″ W.; thence 2000 yards westerly to latitude 41°18′57″ N., longitude 71°19′54″ W.; thence 3000 yards northerly to the point of beginning.
(1) No persons, vessels or other watercraft will be allowed to enter the designated area during minefield training.
(2) The practice minefield will consist of six inert drill mines each 16 inches in diameter and 5 feet long and one concrete sonar target 48 inches in diameter and 48 inches high located within the designated area. The sonar target will be permanently located in the extreme northeast corner within the designated drill minefield area. The six drill mines will be steel with all internal mechanisms and explosives removed and concrete filled. Drill mines will be removed from the designated area within 72 hours after each minehunting training exercise.
(3) Training activities will be limited to minehunting operations using only onboard sonar. Neither variable depth sonar devices or mechanical minesweeping operations will be utilized in the area.
(4) Training periods will be 2-3 days in length and 10-15 times a year, however during the time period July 1-mid-October, minehunting exercises will be held to minimum.
(5) Notice to mariners will be issued 6-8 weeks in advance of a scheduled practice exercise by the Commander, U.S. Naval Base, Newport, Rhode Island.
(6) The regulations of this section shall be enforced by the Commander, U.S. Naval Base, Newport, Rhode Island, and such agencies as he/she may designate.
[52 FR 28556, July 31, 1987, as amended at 62 FR 17552, Apr. 10, 1997]
Title 33 published on 2014-07-01.
The following are only the Rules published in the Federal Register after the published date of Title 33.
For a complete list of all Rules, Proposed Rules, and Notices view the Rulemaking tab.
This is a list of United States Code sections, Statutes at Large, Public Laws, and Presidential Documents, which provide rulemaking authority for this CFR Part.