34 CFR 200.43 - Restructuring.
(a) Definition. “Restructuring” means a major reorganization of a school's governance arrangement by an LEA that—
(2) Has substantial promise of enabling the school to make AYP as defined under §§ 200.13 through 200.20;
(4) Is significantly more rigorous and comprehensive than the corrective action that the LEA implemented in the school under § 200.42, unless the school has begun to implement one of the options in paragraph (b)(3) of this section as a corrective action; and
(5) Addresses the reasons why the school was identified for restructuring in order to enable the school to exit restructuring as soon as possible.
(b) Requirements. If the LEA identifies a school for restructuring in accordance with § 200.34, the LEA must do the following:
(1) Continue to provide all students enrolled in the school with the option to transfer to another public school in accordance with § 200.44.
(2) Make available supplemental educational services in accordance with § 200.45.
(ii) Replace all or most of the school staff (which may include, but may not be limited to, replacing the principal) who are relevant to the school's failure to make AYP.
(iii) Enter into a contract with an entity, such as a private management company, with a demonstrated record of effectiveness, to operate the school as a public school.
(iv) Turn the operation of the school over to the SEA, if permitted under State law and agreed to by the State.
(v) Any other major restructuring of a school's governance arrangement that makes fundamental reforms, such as significant changes in the school's staffing and governance, in order to improve student academic achievement in the school and that has substantial promise of enabling the school to make AYP. The major restructuring of a school's governance may include replacing the principal so long as this change is part of a broader reform effort.
(5) Continue to comply with § 200.39(c).
(i) Implement the restructuring plan no later than the beginning of the school year following the year in which the LEA developed the restructuring plan under paragraph (b)(3) of this section;
(ii) Continue to offer public school choice and supplemental educational services in accordance with §§ 200.44 and 200.45; and
(iii) Continue to comply with § 200.39(c).
(2) An LEA is no longer required to carry out the requirements of paragraph (c)(1) of this section if the restructured school makes AYP for two consecutive school years.
(d) Rural schools. On request, the Secretary will provide technical assistance for developing and carrying out a restructuring plan to any rural LEA—
(2) In which all of the schools have a School Locale Code of 7 or 8, as determined by the National Center for Education Statistics.(Approved by the Office of Management and Budget under control number 1810-0581)
(Authority: 20 U.S.C. 6316(b)(8))
Title 34 published on 2014-07-01
no entries appear in the Federal Register after this date.