34 CFR 200.49 - SEA responsibilities for school improvement, corrective action, and restructuring.
(a) Transition requirements for public school choice and supplemental educational services.
(1) Except as described in §§ 200.32(d) and 200.33(c), if a school was in school improvement or subject to corrective action on January 7, 2002, the SEA must ensure that the LEA for that school provides public school choice in accordance with § 200.44 not later than the first day of the 2002-2003 school year.
(2) Except as described in §§ 200.32(d) and 200.33(c), if a school was in school improvement status for two or more consecutive school years or subject to corrective action on January 7, 2002, the SEA must ensure that the LEA for that school makes available supplemental educational services in accordance with § 200.45 not later than the first day of the 2002-2003 school year.
(b) State reservation of funds for school improvement.
(1) In accordance with § 200.100(a), an SEA must reserve 2 percent of the amount it receives under this part for fiscal years 2002 and 2003, and 4 percent of the amount it receives under this part for fiscal years 2004 through 2007, to -
(i) Support local school improvement activities;
(ii) Provide technical assistance to schools identified for improvement, corrective action, or restructuring; and
(iii) Provide technical assistance to LEAs that the SEA has identified for improvement or corrective action in accordance with § 200.50.
(2) Of the amount it reserves under paragraph (b)(1) of this section, the SEA must -
(i) Allocate not less than 95 percent directly to LEAs serving schools identified for improvement, corrective action, and restructuring to support improvement activities; or
(ii) With the approval of the LEA, directly provide for these improvement activities or arrange to provide them through such entities as school support teams or educational service agencies.
(3) In providing assistance to LEAs under paragraph (b)(2) of this section, the SEA must give priority to LEAs that -
(i) Serve the lowest-achieving schools;
(ii) Demonstrate the greatest need for this assistance; and
(iii) Demonstrate the strongest commitment to ensuring that this assistance will be used to enable the lowest-achieving schools to meet the progress goals in the school improvement plans under § 200.41.
(c) Technical assistance. The SEA must make technical assistance available, through the statewide system of support and improvement required by section 1117 of the ESEA, to schools that LEAs have identified for improvement, corrective action, or restructuring.
(d) LEA failure. If the SEA determines that an LEA has failed to carry out its responsibilities with respect to school improvement, corrective action, or restructuring, the SEA must take the actions it determines to be appropriate and in compliance with State law.
(e) Assessment results.
(1) The SEA must ensure that the results of academic assessments administered as part of the State assessment system in a given school year are available to LEAs before the beginning of the next school year and in such time as to allow for the identification described in § 200.32(a)(2).
(2) The SEA must provide the results described in paragraph (e)(1) of this section to a school before an LEA may identify the school for school improvement under § 200.32, corrective action under § 200.33, or restructuring under § 200.34.
(f) Accountability for charter schools. The accountability provisions under section 1116 of the ESEA must be overseen for charter schools in accordance with State charter school law.
(g) Factors affecting student achievement. The SEA must notify the Secretary of Education of major factors that have been brought to the SEA's attention under section 1111(b)(9) of the ESEA that have significantly affected student academic achievement in schools and LEAs identified for improvement within the State.
Title 34 published on 2015-07-01
The following are ALL rules, proposed rules, and notices (chronologically) published in the Federal Register relating to 34 CFR Part 200 after this date.