34 CFR 200.52 - LEA improvement.
(1) Not later than 3 months after an SEA has identified an LEA for improvement under § 200.50(d), the LEA must develop or revise an LEA improvement plan.
(2) The LEA must consult with parents, school staff, and others in developing or revising its improvement plan.
(3) The LEA improvement plan must -
(i) Incorporate strategies, grounded in scientifically based research, that will strengthen instruction in core academic subjects in schools served by the LEA;
(ii) Identify actions that have the greatest likelihood of improving the achievement of participating children in meeting the State's student academic achievement standards;
(iii) Address the professional development needs of the instructional staff serving the LEA by committing to spend for professional development not less than 10 percent of the funds received by the LEA under subpart A of this part for each fiscal year in which the SEA identifies the LEA for improvement. These funds -
(A) May include funds reserved by schools for professional development under § 200.41(c)(5); but
(B) May not include funds reserved for professional development under section 1119 of the ESEA;
(iv) Include specific measurable achievement goals and targets -
(A) For each of the groups of students under § 200.13(b)(7); and
(B) That are consistent with AYP as defined under §§ 200.13 through 200.20;
(v) Address -
(A) The fundamental teaching and learning needs in the schools of the LEA; and
(B) The specific academic problems of low-achieving students, including a determination of why the LEA's previous plan failed to bring about increased student academic achievement;
(vi) As appropriate, incorporate activities before school, after school, during the summer, and during any extension of the school year;
(vii) Specify the responsibilities of the SEA and LEA under the plan, including the technical assistance the SEA must provide under paragraph (b) of this section and the LEA's responsibilities under section 1120A of the ESEA; and
(viii) Include strategies to promote effective parental involvement in the schools served by the LEA.
(4) The LEA must implement the improvement plan - including any revised plan - expeditiously, but not later than the beginning of the school year following the year in which the LEA administered the assessments that resulted in the LEA's failure to make AYP for a second consecutive year and led to the SEA's identification of the LEA for improvement under § 200.50(d).
(b)SEA technical assistance.
(1) An SEA that identifies an LEA for improvement under § 200.50(d) must, if requested, provide or arrange for the provision of technical or other assistance to the LEA, as authorized under section 1117 of the ESEA.
(2) The purpose of the technical assistance is to better enable the LEA to -
(i) Develop and implement its improvement plan; and
(ii) Work with schools needing improvement.
(3) The technical assistance provided by the SEA or an entity authorized by the SEA must -
(i) Be supported by effective methods and instructional strategies grounded in scientifically based research; and
(ii) Address problems, if any, in implementing the parental involvement and professional development activities described in sections 1118 and 1119, respectively, of the ESEA.
Title 34 published on 13-Sep-2017 03:59
The following are ALL rules, proposed rules, and notices (chronologically) published in the Federal Register relating to 34 CFR Part 200 after this date.