34 CFR 21.44 - Further proceedings.
(a) The adjudicative officer shall make the determination of an award on the basis of the written record.
(1) However, the adjudicative officer may order further proceedings on his or her own initiative or at the request of the applicant or the Department's counsel.
(2) The adjudicative officer may order further proceedings only if he or she determines that those proceedings are necessary for full and fair resolution of issues arising from the application.
(3) If further proceedings are ordered, the adjudicative officer shall determine the scope of those proceedings, which may include such proceedings as informal conferences, oral arguments, additional written submissions, discovery, or an evidentiary hearing.
(4) An adjudicative officer may not order discovery or an evidentiary hearing for the issue of whether or not the Department's position was substantially justified.
(c) If the applicant or the Department's counsel requests the adjudicative officer to order further proceedings, the request must -
(1) Specify the information sought or the disputed issues; and
(2) Explain why the additional proceedings are necessary to obtain that information or resolve those issues.