§ 222.117What procedures are followed after the Assistant Secretary issues a notice of intent to withhold payments?
(a) The withholding of payments authorized by section 8004 of the Act is conducted in accordance with section 8004 (d)(2) or (e)(8)-(9) of the Act and the regulations in this subpart.
(b) An LEA that receives a notice of intent to withhold payments from the Assistant Secretary is not entitled to an Impact Aid hearing under the provisions of section 8011 of the Act and subpart J of this part.
(c)After an IPP hearing.
(1) An LEA that rejects or fails to implement the final determination of the Assistant Secretary after an IPP hearing has 10 days from the date of the LEA's receipt of the written notice of intent to withhold funds to provide the Assistant Secretary with a written explanation and documentation in support of the reasons why its payments should not be withheld. The Assistant Secretary provides the affected Indian tribe or tribes with an opportunity to respond to the LEA's submission.
(2) If after reviewing an LEA's written explanation and supporting documentation, and any response from the Indian tribe or tribes, the Assistant Secretary determines to withhold an LEA's payments, the Assistant Secretary notifies the LEA and the affected Indian tribe or tribes of the withholding determination in writing by certified mail with return receipt requested prior to withholding the payments.
(3) In the withholding determination, the Assistant Secretary states the facts supporting the determination that the LEA failed to comply with the legal requirements at issue, and why the provisions of § 222.120 (provisions governing circumstances when an LEA is exempt from the withholding of payments) are inapplicable. This determination is the final decision of the Department.
(d)An LEA that has not participated in an IPP hearing.
(1) An LEA that has not participated in an IPP hearing has 30 days from the date of its receipt of the Assistant Secretary's notice of intent to withhold funds to file a written request for a withholding hearing with the Assistant Secretary. The written request for a withholding hearing must—
(i) Identify the issues of law and facts in dispute; and
(ii) State the LEA's position, together with the pertinent facts and reasons supporting that position.
(2) If the LEA's request for a withholding hearing is accepted, the Assistant Secretary sends written notification of acceptance to the LEA and the affected Indian tribe or tribes and forwards to the hearing examiner a copy of the Assistant Secretary's written notice, the LEA's request for a withholding hearing, and any other relevant documents.
(3) If the LEA's request for a withholding hearing is rejected, the Assistant Secretary notifies the LEA in writing that its request for a hearing has been rejected and provides the LEA with the reasons for the rejection.
(4) The Assistant Secretary rejects requests for withholding hearings that are not filed in accordance with the time for filing requirements described in paragraph (d)(1) of this section. An LEA that files a timely request for a withholding hearing, but fails to meet the other filing requirements set forth in paragraph (d)(1) of this section, has 30 days from the date of receipt of the Assistant Secretary's notification of rejection to submit an acceptable amended request for a withholding hearing.
(e) If an LEA fails to file a written explanation in accordance with paragraph (c) of this section, or a request for a withholding hearing or an amended request for a withholding hearing in accordance with paragraph (d) of this section, the Secretary proceeds to take appropriate administrative action to withhold funds without further notification to the LEA.